Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to plant in garden  (Read 2949 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
What to plant in garden
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:17:32 pm »
I am busy landscaping my garden and want to plant goat friendly plants so I can give them the cuttings when pruning. What are the best things to plant? I'm not a great gardener and despite telling the garden designer I wanted non-toxic plants, he put yew and laurel in the design!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: What to plant in garden
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:41:51 am »
Flowering current, I dont know the real name, only the common one! Its not toxic, and it comes out early in the year so its good for picking bits to tempt a goats appetite at kidding time. Has pretty pink flowers in the spring, they aren't toxic either.

Roses obviously are popular with goats too. Hawthorn is excellent. Ivy is edible, but not the berries, so not sure if you really want to incorporate that.

Might be able to think of others given time.

Beth

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:19:13 am »
Cooo - you can afford a garden designer?  :-J
how big is the garden?
goat willow?
I think someone mentioned they feed bamboo (trimmings), if my gang get to mine they love it, still leaves the canes for use.
Blackcurrants,
mine like miscanthus even when its dead stems in winter.

I don't know if you know but avoid prunus, wilted leaves can be deadly.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:01:01 am »
Comfrey is good, nice flowers for bees/bumble bees and goats do like the leaves. Also is perennial, just make sure you don't use one that self-seeds everywhere. Willows is good too, as is hazel, beech for hedging.

Other than that, mine normally just refer the weeds...

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:16:14 am »
Marjoram/Oregano, mints, including peppermint, sage, raspberry, comfrey, rosemary, wormwood, rue, honeysuckle, horseraddish, horse chestnut, willow, echinacia(spelling?), thyme, wild garlic.
All medicinal herbs I use on my girls....hope that helps!   :wave::wave:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:23:02 am »
Wow brilliant thanks. Design want too expensive but had to do something as my creative skills are non existent and it was like a building site. Raised beds and patio going down this week then I just need to plant up the beds. Will go plant hunting next weekend  :excited:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 04:06:33 pm »
If you can find it wild raspberry proved very popular with our Pygmy girls and also elder and hazel. They are all easy to grow from cuttings if you can find some in a generous friend's garden. And there could even be a Brucie bonus of some edible fruit for yourself!
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 04:10:43 pm »
....and I nearly forgot willowherb, not that you would want to grow it but the goats go mad for it so if you find it in hedgerows etc. take them home a bunch. And I never had any problem with the seeds 'passing through' and re growing.  :thumbsup:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 04:14:35 pm »
Native deciduous, basically. Evergreens tend to be poisonous. Holly is an exception, as it does the 'don't eat me' bit by prickles instead.

My goats especially like: hawthorn, rowan, silver birch, willows, holly, a bit of ivy, hazel.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS