Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazers per acre  (Read 978 times)

Creaturesgreatandsmall

• Joined Apr 2021
Grazers per acre
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:01:50 pm »
Hi I am Jane a new member to the forum. I have approx an acre of land/ grass. I have at the moment got 4 Pygmy goats two Hampshire down sheep 2 Toulouse geese and some chickens. I am trying to get a sense of how may grazing animals this amount of  land can sustain? All help and advice  gratefully received  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Grazers per acre
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 06:07:00 pm »
Hello Jane  :wave:

That is in part going to depend on your land and the type of grazing available. Also you need to split it up into smaller paddocks so you can manage it and allow resting and regrowth. Have you got a good water supply? What do you want from your animals long term? Do you want to breed?

HappyHippy

• Joined Apr 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 07:55:42 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum  :wave:

Geese and sheep are generally 6 to the acre, for year round occupancy. You might be able to stretch it out a bit more by restricting access and giving extra supplementary feed during the winter. I'm not sure what the stocking ratio for goats is though - but someone else will be along soon  ;)

Look forward to hearing how you get on.
Karen

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 07:42:35 am »
 :wave: 
Probably not much more than you have now would be my response .....  but depends totally on where you are and the aspect and height  of your land .................  here 700 ft up winter (counted as when grass grows)  is Nov to End April  ..... (this yr without rain is going to be June I thnk!)

smaller rotated paddocks will help .....  but HH 's 6 sheep to the acre is very optimistic even on good ground ....  5 max I would say (more like 3 here)....  so your 2 sheep, geese and goats is probably as many as You will comfortably manage.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS