Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick of this bl**dy weather  (Read 6558 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Sick of this bl**dy weather
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:26:34 pm »
I haven't been able to inspect my beehives for a couple of weeks now - either too windy or just too wet

The grass in the field that we are growing for hay spends most of the time lying down as it is so heavy with all the rain.

The slugs are busy chomping through our squash, courgettes, beans and salads, plus the cauliflower, carrot and parsnip seedlings - slug numbers have exploded because of the mild damp conditions

Very bored of summer so far  >:(

deepinthewoods

Re: Sick of this bl**dy weather
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:30:22 pm »
i agree, its crap. >:(

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:45:41 pm »
Gabi's dad rang from Germany this morning complaining that for the last couple of weeks the temperature has been between 30-37 deg C during the day and mid 20's at night, too hot and uncomfortable for him,  >:( :-\ :'(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »
Doug,
Is that supposed to make us feel better or worse?  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:41:59 pm »
We have just heard that another show we were supposed to be going to has been cancelled. That's two so far :(
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:09:25 pm »
They won't cancel the Royal Welsh even though you don't show there VSS.They don't mind if you wade in mud there.
I'm sick to death of it. Have loads of jobs to do outside, but not the weather to do it. Roll on summer :fc:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:22:46 pm »
They definitely won't cancel the Royal Welsh and if this weather carries on it'll be a good test if the drainage and improvements to the main ring have worked. In other wet years, competitors have been knee deep in mud. Usually the weather doesn't get me down but this constant wet, cold, miserable crappy weather is depressing. The only things growing rampantly are the poxy weeds.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:44:27 pm »
I agree ...
It's sooo depressing, totally fed-up of the cold, wet & mud everywhere  :gloomy:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:43:15 pm »
We are a lot further south than most of you but are also experiencing different weather. We have had more rain than usual so we still have green grass and have had 3 lots of hay gathered around us. It's not as hot as last year so I am spending less time watering the veg plot and can get some heavy work done rather than wilting like the veg did last year.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:55:42 pm »
But I actually ENJOY watering the veg patch, my flowers, the dogs, the pigs ...  ;D ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 10:50:24 pm »
we've had it really dry over the last 6 weeks or so, so i'm actually glad for a bit of rain over the last week - and yes, this is coming from the north/west coast of scotland, normally the wettest part of the country, but we've actually been hoping for rain as my hay crop hasn't been growing, and obviously we're not set up to have to water the fields!!  :eyelashes:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »
According to radio two news this morning, June was officially the wettest since before records began.   ::)  Wow!  Was it really?  Who would have thought it?  :innocent:

Thee was also someone on from Trent Water who said they are loving it.  the reservoirs are almost full again after a long time of being very low.  It's an ill wind....

I'm sick of the wind, ill or otherwise, as well.  My goats desperately needs mucking out but I can't leave them outside long enough and I have nowhere to put them under cover.  Do you think they'd share a golf umbrella?  ;D

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:13:26 pm »
Here in Brittany we're on the outskirts of the UK weather. We've now abandoned any idea of taking a hay crop again this year - because it is too wet and the farmers that cut 2 weeks ago have their grass rotting on the soil. We haven't had a hay crop for the last 3 years because of drought conditions and the grass/clover had only grown 6 inches before flowering...........It seems that you just can't win!
As regards the veggie plot? Well, forget it! Anything that needs the sun has just sat there, mournful............ Although netted, I've lost 50% of my cabbages/brocolli/sprouts to wind and slimy s*ds that devour them (oh yes, and the mice!)
The peas/ broad beans plants have just given up the ghost; the runner beans are heading down to Australia and the onions have now decided to call it a day.
Of course, the tayberries, should now be ready but, like last year............ it's raining.......... and they will all go mouldy..........
But hey! it'll be a good year for blackberries................................ (No apples to go with them as the strong cold winds in April destroyed the ample blossom on the trees! No cider this year, either as the cider trees are bare!)
Oh yes, and the blight has hit all our neighbours' potato crops and decimated their outdoor tomatoes.........
Depressed? Am I depressed..........................???
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 12:07:17 am »
We're still in drought condition here, at least there's still a hosepipe ban!  You gotta laugh sometimes
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
We're still in drought condition here, at least there's still a hosepipe ban!  You gotta laugh sometimes
WHAT  :o  I'm guessing you ARE getting some of this rain - or are you all too naughty down your way SF ;) ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS