Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: George, Mildred and the Chicken.  (Read 1754 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
George, Mildred and the Chicken.
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:54:13 pm »
The weather over the weekend was awful so George and Mildred our two Kune-Kune pigs that we a raising for the freezer spent most of their time inside their ark. On Saturday morning I was mucking out the ponies stables which are all housed inside the barn. chickens were busy scratching about in the straw rather than go outside. I heard what sounded like a chicken outside laying an egg so went to look. Noise was coming from the pigs paddock so I opened the side door to see the two pigs come running out of their ark looking for a treat. Inside looking very smug was a chicken and yes she had laid her egg. This morning the same thing happened. Now the last pigs we had were the all blacks and they got hold of a young pheasant one day, all that was left was a bunch of feathers so to see this chicken sharing the pig ark is a bit of a surprise. Are her days numbered.  :pig: :chook:

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: George, Mildred and the Chicken.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 02:34:37 pm »
Given the opportunity pigs can and will eat chickens - highly illegal obviously - but unfortunately "acidents happen"

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: George, Mildred and the Chicken.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:23:26 pm »
My Kune kune pigs live perfectly happily alongside my chickens and my ducks. We have only ever had one incident of agression from one of the pigs when a duck was stealing his food. Other than that they get on fine. Pigs are now fed before the birds are let out in the morning and after the birds have gone to bed in the evening. The ducks follow the pigs everywhere gobbling up all the worms and beasties the pigs uncover whilst rooting around. They will often all shelter together in the pig hut when it's raining.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS