Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Joint problems  (Read 6294 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Joint problems
« on: June 23, 2012, 07:46:03 am »
I didn't want to take over the thread that MGM has just put up so have started a new one. Her thread has made me realise that I am not alone and that there are quite a few of us with joint problems.

Is this what we have to expect as we get older or is there an alternative?

I have lots of aches and pains but have severe problems in my right ankle that makes it very difficult to walk at times and most days I take a mix of ibropufen and paracetamol to get me through.
When I had my car accident (1985) the right ankle was just one of the broken bones so I had thought that osteoarthritis had set in. The Dr sent me for an xray to confirm it but it hasn't shown anything. So what does that mean? She has now agreed to sent to for physio. I can't imagine it will do any good but I am up for trying anything although 3 weeks on I am still waiting for the appointment.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Joint problems
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:01:22 am »
Unfortunately , pain doesn't show on X-rays and arthritis is notorious for not showing up in some circumstances. So it still could be arthritic changes at the joint surfaces, particularly after some trauma.

My gran and my mum are crippled by arthritis and then it started happening with me and I'm not 50 yet  :P
Couldn't walk for the pain in my ankles when I got up in the mornings, fingers and toes throbbing so I couldn't think of anything else, hip so bad I couldn't get comfortable asleep or in a chair.

Did some research. Cut out gluten. What a change!

Now I wasn't aware that I was reacting to gluten beforehand, happily ate bacon butties and biscuits. But cutting it out has reduced my joint pain to almost nothing. And if I give in and eat some, the next day I hurt a lot.

Mentioned it to my neighbour, who said that his mother had just been put on a gluten-free diet by the doctor for her joints.

So worth a try? There are so many gluten-free alternatives now that it isn't as hard as it once was.

:-* anyway, I know what it's like to hurt  :-*

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 08:02:38 am »
Thanks Jaykay, I will definitely look into that
Sally

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 08:36:37 am »
Glucosamine is supposed to help with joints and mobility problems, The biggest problem with the human frame is design, it is not meant to carry us around for 80 years, the original was good for about 30 years tops, for a 7-8 stone hunter gatherer.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 09:30:35 am »
Tizaala,
I am a bit (quite a bit) over 30 years  :(  but if you add 2 hunter gatherers together then thats me  ;D ;D :innocent:
Sally

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 10:58:54 am »
I thought you had started this thread because you were having trouble getting a "joint" Bionic. Silly me!!
I put all my joint pain down to my weight. I only take size 2 1/2 shoes and my hands are tiny, so all this weight I have on my tiny frame is not good for my poor old bones. I seem to have the most problem in my lower back which I have been told results from something that keeps pinging out from time to time and has to be put back by an osteopath or chiropractor. I developed it after carrying one child that refused to walk, whilst pushing a buggy with the other child in. It used to ping regularly when shopping in the supermarket. I had to get someone to help me though the checkout and to load my car as I couldnt stand straight. Very embarrassing!!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:06:48 am »
Wow, size 2 1/2 shoes is tiny indeed.  Definitely some of my problems are down to my weight too.
Since I read Jaykays post I am looking into the gluten free diet. I think this would help with my weight too. If only we had a magic wand

Sally

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 11:23:28 am »
Will give that a try too Jaykay.  I can't sit down for half an hour on TAS without looking like a 100 year old lady when I get off the computer chair or do the school run in the car and it seems to have become worse quite rapidly now I am of a certain age.  Started taking Glocosamine and Chondroitin last week, 1 a day (ouch, had to get off my chair to get the packet for the spelling, cripple, cripple). 
Start the gluten free as soon as we've eaten whats in the fridge.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »
Ive just had a quick looksy and there is loads about it on t'internet, so Ill have a more in-depth read this evening when the footie is on. It could help my IBS Im sure.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 06:05:54 pm »
Might just try it too - stiff bones and overweight - might help.  Trouble is I love bread and butter! :-[ :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »
Don't wish to be a kill joy, but I have been gluten free for 25 years (helps the Crohns ) and now I have hit my prime ;D  the joints hurt, knees, hips you name it, I think the only help is a month in the warm some where................
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 06:23:06 pm »
Have you tried acupuncture? It really does help!! Also back on track do good supports with ceramic in them that help keep the joints warm.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »
Chris H, are you taking the rest of us with you for a month in the warm?  ;D

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 06:41:34 pm »
Why not! where shall we go?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 06:42:55 pm »
Why not! where shall we go?
I'm in  :eyelashes: :eyelashes:
anywhere please

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS