Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Norwoods multivitamin injection  (Read 3515 times)

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
Norwoods multivitamin injection
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:51:24 pm »
Does anyone know why this is now not licenced for sheep - horses only?
Is Duphafral Multivitamin 9 only for horses aslo? Apart from combivit what alternative is there now?
ta
Sheep

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Re: Norwoods multivitamin injection
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:15:26 pm »
Hi we contacted Norbrook about this as having ordered it by post and been contacted by the seller to check what animals we were using on (sheep and they said that this would be ok) the bottles arrived stating clearly that they are for use on horses only.   
Norbrook said that this is due to the vitamin D content not being allowable to inject into food animals due to the risk to pregnant women.  If you now inject a food animal with this they would now not be allowed to enter the food chain at any time in their life afterwards. They did say that it can only be used on license under a vets authority, but presumably the same restriction would apply for that animal entering the food chain.
We did ask if they would be manufacturing the same product without the vitamin D but they said no.  That leaves combivit - vit Bs and Intravit - B12 made by Norbrook. I am not aware of another injectable multivit product but would be interested to know if there is one similar without the vitamin D.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:14:46 am »
Thankyou for your reply Blacksheep. Is the concern regarding vitamin D only with injections? As I was just going through my lambing check list and noticed that Colate Lamb kick start contains Vit D.
Sheep

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:37:50 pm »
Hi JS yes oral vit D fine, I think it is because there is a chance that it can stay in the muscles if injected, which I guess is why it previously had a month withdrawal period to allow for the vitamin e to be absorbed.

Also to add to the list of what you can buy as a vitamin injection is vitasel for vitamin E and selenium.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS