Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: soft shells  (Read 3275 times)

eryl

• Joined Apr 2020
soft shells
« on: April 13, 2022, 05:03:58 pm »
Hi. Ive got 50 warren/hybred type laying hens. They are free range and are out in a paddock during daylight hours. They have 2 feed hoppers that provide them with ad lib layers pellets (Wynnstay) 24/7 and they never run out. They have a container with ad lib grit in as well. Despite everything seemingly perfect, I still get at least 3 soft shelled eggs a day (or at least the shell is very thin). I also get a couple of corrugated shelled eggs everyday. Anyone any theories?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: soft shells
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 06:20:55 pm »
That's not unusual. We used to get 4 normal, 1 thin and one distorted from our six hybrids. The hen that laid the thin eggs died trying to lay a softie. This is normal genetic variation and nothing you can do anything about.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 10:01:54 pm »
As mentioned in your other topic, we are still under Bird Flu restrictions so your birds should be under cover.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 01:32:31 pm »
That's not unusual. We used to get 4 normal, 1 thin and one distorted from our six hybrids. The hen that laid the thin eggs died trying to lay a softie. This is normal genetic variation and nothing you can do anything about.

Same. We have 8 chickens but 7 breeds so you can see that it's always the same chicken laying the thin shell/rough one. We just keep those for ourselves/use them ASAP.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 07:10:30 pm »
As mentioned in your other topic, we are still under Bird Flu restrictions so your birds should be under cover.

Agreed. We are still on bird flu lockdown.
My four are in a weldmesh and  wire mesh run, hardbaked earth on the ground so they have to get greens thrown in to supplement their pellets
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 04:35:38 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 09:20:50 pm »
our confined birds have developed softer shells since the lockdown I presume through lack of free range grazing, have taken to adding ground oyster shell to the diet in the last fortnight , still waiting to if there is any change.
This lockdown must surely end soon they are starting to go stir crazy and I'm running out of ideas to improve their welfare, if it wer'nt for the fact we are in a 3km protection zone they may have have been allowed to "escape" in the daytime.
Any way waiting to see if the oyster shell will help.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 08:27:11 am »
It's not going to end any time soon, they are still reporting cases. I think it will probably be in place all year. If lockdown is compromising the welfare of your flock you need to think about changing the situation somehow ...... :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 04:45:50 pm »
It's not going to end any time soon, they are still reporting cases. I think it will probably be in place all year. If lockdown is compromising the welfare of your flock you need to think about changing the situation somehow ...... :innocent:
I think it's a risk assessments situation.
How much risk is there to the captive birds from wild birds, as opposed to risk of them being in much restricted captivity.

We have very few migratory birds here, geese if any fly extremely high. Only a few pigeons and crows and my dogs make them shift almost as they land. Other than that just sparrows, robins, blue tits which eat bird seed on my balcony and fly off to the bushes at the bottom of the orchard

My four Wyandottes have plenty space really, and show no signs of stress from being captive, but the hard packed earth is going to cause them feet problems if I don't do something about it soon. And I have to throw in greenery to supplement their pellets and corn. I've found a source of dried fruit and flowers which they seem to like too, and it smells lovely.
So I'm considering letting them out on grass under supervision into an adjacent fenced area, for a short period each day, the main problem being getting them back in again  🙄
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 11:44:25 pm »
I've started a new topic: Bird Flu restrictions, because this is taking over the OP's thread.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS