Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I make my dog stand?  (Read 7998 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
How do I make my dog stand?
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:43:46 pm »
I think Dugg is ticklish.

He thinks being brushed is a great game and rolls around trying to eat the brush etc.

I want him to stand still so that I can brush him and brush him.

Next year I want to put him in the waggiest tail class and the handsomest non-pedigree dog class at our local show

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I don't want to turn him into a show dog - he is a smallholding dog.... but I would like to really give him a good brush from time to time.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: How do I make my dog stand?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:26:38 pm »
lol, he sounds a lovely daft dog!     :)
our Sheba wasn't keen on being brushed when we first got her... now she will tolerate it without too much silliness
I do it outside (she is a German shepherd so very hairy!) and after a good run , she'll sit a while if she can nosey down the road at the same time.

Keep at it, time will help, and make standing part of his play & training.
Little Blue

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:14:46 pm »
Have you ever done any clicker training?

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:07:48 pm »
I think Dugg is ticklish.

He thinks being brushed is a great game and rolls around trying to eat the brush etc.

I want him to stand still so that I can brush him and brush him.

Next year I want to put him in the waggiest tail class and the handsomest non-pedigree dog class at our local show

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I don't want to turn him into a show dog - he is a smallholding dog.... but I would like to really give him a good brush from time to time.

Susanna
having had a dog grooming business I found the best idea is to tie him on a fairly short lead to something slightly higher than his head height, using a quick release collar/ lead so that should he try rolling over he won't choke himself. Gently support him with one arm under his belly & brush with the other hand. Just use oe quiet but firm command "stand" . don't get him excited by saying good boy etc. keep sessions very short at first & let him go when he is standing still.  Again just say good boy, quick pat, & lave it at that. I find the more you fusss thm the more they mess about.Increase length of sessions as he gets more used to it. If he is qite young he should get better as he matures. Good luck!
geebee

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:10:41 pm »
My dogs are all taught a show stand from 8 weeks of age.  A titbit held at the nose for them to nibble, prop them up into a stand position, saying over and over 'stand stay'  then gradually move the titbit away from the nose so they are watching it but can't reach it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 06:48:45 pm »
Thanks very much for the advice. I will work at it and report back.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:58:42 pm »
Should you give a dog two commands at once .Or should you just say stand rather than stand and stay.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:33:56 am »
'Standstay' is one command, 'stay' is a separate command.  I also use 'wait', 'sit', 'down', 'off', 'come', as well as all my working commands, and the whistle ones too.  My dogs have quite a vocabulary when I think about it  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 05:50:22 pm »
Thanks Doganjo how many comands do you use with the whistle .I use 2 totes to come and thats about it with a 211 1/2 any help would be much appreciated. just getting my new working cocker pup next month.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:01:02 am »
Most gundog trainers use one pip for sit, two for turn,three for recall, but it's entirely up to you.I have a couple of friends who also use a 'hunt there 'command which is a sort of double pip with a 'scoop' on the end. You train the voice commands first and add the whistle in after.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:37:57 am »
I dont think anyone has pointed out that if the dog is set on a table on a damp towel he wont be so inclined to jump around in case he falls off and you wont get back ache.
This is how I trained mine for grooming.  ;D

Standing for the show ring is another topic and has been covered well by Annie  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 11:46:53 am »
I dont think anyone has pointed out that if the dog is set on a table on a damp towel he wont be so inclined to jump around in case he falls off and you wont get back ache.
This is how I trained mine for grooming.  ;D

Standing for the show ring is another topic and has been covered well by Annie  ;)
Almost all 'showdogs' are trained on a table from the age of a eight weeks - if the breeder breeds for the show ring they will even do it while the pups are still with them, prior to going to their forever homes.

All my litters were 'standstay' trained and 'recall' trained before they left here  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS