Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Choosing a dog  (Read 11748 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Choosing a dog
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 06:56:27 pm »
 :thumbsup:

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 09:13:43 pm »
Wouldn't recommend Dalmatians.  We got one for reasons unconnected with small holding, she is fine with kids and runs beautifully next to a bike (presumably also horse/carriage but we don't have one!)  However, loves to 'play' with the sheep (never quite sure if she's rounding them up or hunting them!), has killed a couple of suicidal chickens (one jumped out of the pen into her mouth, literally), although did leave the pigs alone largely, I suspect because they tricked her with the electric fence.  On a more positive note she has killed a couple of rats/rabbits.  In fact I remember reading a list of working traits that a prospective owner might find annoying, only to find she had most of them!  Great character, but not an easy dog to have around!

muddyhill

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 10:18:16 pm »
Well having just had a camper's dog savage one of our ducks  :'( we certainly aren't getting a rott/retriever cross, too big and powerful dog for me I think.

(Just to add, I know the dog was just being a dog and don't hold it responsible but the experience is 'informing' our decision!)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 08:17:31 am »
And all breeds are probably capable of that kind of thing. A lot of it is down to training and being in control.

Retrievers are usually not that interested in bigger stock but may have a twinkle in their eye where poultry are concerned. Labs are usually pretty biddable though and so easily trained and then ignore poultry. All dogs are bred for a purpose and gundogs in general are interested in poultry in a different way to how a terrier maybe interested. The terrier may want to catch and kill whereas a gundog will probably just want to carry .... it has a different instinct.

All dog breeds will need more work put into them as pups and young dogs if you have other species around, whether it be cats, sheep, poultry and so on.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 09:00:00 am »
Our neighbours cat sits watching our chickens and I told our dogs to chase her off but did they? NO, they just took the opportunity to sniff around for Hen droppings....I could leave our dogs in with livestock no  problem but then they would happily kill a wild rabbit or similar wild creature!!I was thinking, Labradors always appear in a good mood....

Garvie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Fraserburgh
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 09:15:40 am »
My lab is a Gundog she will happily bring back all sorts of game bird but has never touched any of our hens.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 09:27:41 am »
same here Garvie...one of our hens  used to go to where our dogs are and the dogs looked embarrassed ....

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 01:13:28 pm »
My springer spaniel tries very hard to please but is wired to the moon regardless of how much exercise he gets. He's such a happy dog, but a bit waring not having an off switch. Maybe if I'd had him as a puppy rather than a mess of a rescue dog it would have been better?
I couldn't recommend a terrier. Between me, my mum and mother in law, I've had/been close to seven jack russel or jr X. I've really loved some of those little dogs, but they all had faults, only one of the seven is really a good pet.

If I were you, think I'd go lab, even though I've not had one myself, I've always admired my friends labs. I love German shepherds, but might bit too intimidating to your visitors?

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2013, 10:28:42 am »
 :wave:
I think that choosing a dog if a very difficult thing (and a great commitment) as I have been going through the same thing myself for 6 weeks to find the right companion for my greyhound.

Over the past 15 years I've had rescue Staffie X, Lab X, Greyhound and I now have a young Lab.

The staffie X was great in the end.  He was about 3 years old when we picked him up, but very protective, needed a lot of socialization to sort out his issues and needed to be neutered and shown who was in charge for about six months.  He became the most loyal friend to my previous partner that could have ever been known.  He could tell when he was about to have a fit or if his blood sugar was low and come tell me!  He was never trained to do that, he just choose to.

My lab X was almost perfect!  Hardly needed training at all.  She was great with everything except kids and whining in the car.  I was pretty sure that she was dumped out of a car and treated badly by children.  When I picked her up from the pound, all I knew about her was that she was spayed.  No history, no age (she was between 3 and 5), nothing.  First few nights she kept escaping out of my yard. I realised she had been trained to only pee and poo on grass!  I miss her greatly.

My greyhound was just 2 when we got her.  She was afraid of everything (including us!).  She took 12 months of work to stop her peeing, pooing, chewing, panicking etc.  She is now (5 years later) a well adjusted love bucket!  She is still nervy of strangers standing over her, but as soon as they sit down she is all over them for fuss and kisses!  She is great with cats and chickens, but needs to be watched if there are other animals running round!  She "picks up" birds who are not in their own area (one of the ducks yesterday) but just holds them till we come over!  She gets excited when the pigs or sheep run around, but she has no prey drive, just wants to play!

We adopted a chocolate lab last Friday!  She has a great temperament and is settling well.  Both our greyhound and two cats have no problems with her.  Bad points so far are that she wants to play with everything.. ducks, sheep, chickens, phones, cat bowls, anything wooden, table cloths, blankets, plastic on chairs.. this list is endless!  She chews anything hard and does have a habit of mouthing us when playing.  I have now managed to dog-proof the kitchen for when we go out and we supply both the dogs with toys and hide chews.  I am sure that with training and time she will become a great addition to our family.

What I am trying to illustrate is that every dog will need your time, energy and patience to become the dog you want.  Find the right basics (temperament, energy level, etc) but be aware that you will need to nurture it, so that it will become the dog you want!  Whether a puppy or an adult, these issues may well need to be dealt with and doing it in the right way will create exactly what you need.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2013, 10:37:36 am »
What I am trying to illustrate is that every dog will need your time, energy and patience to become the dog you want.  Find the right basics (temperament, energy level, etc) but be aware that you will need to nurture it, so that it will become the dog you want!  Whether a puppy or an adult, these issues may well need to be dealt with and doing it in the right way will create exactly what you need.
What a perfect illustration, people cannot expect to get a dog and it turn into something amazing if its not brought up properly or given time!! :thumbsup:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 11:02:59 am »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 03:24:25 pm »

Great post Raine, this really sums it up beautifully!
:bow:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 08:36:50 pm »
I think that sums it up, (said so much better than me).

The nature nurture thing, one give you the basics to work with, the other gives you results from the work you put in.

K

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 03:30:57 pm »
Good on you for thinking a head muddyhill .

The dog ought to be considered part of the family 24/7 it can make life difficult but in the end it's usually the best way you get a dog you adapt the family to suit .

One thing I feel might pay you dividends is for the adults & teen agers in your family ( if any ) is to go to a set of dog training classes just to see what's what to get yourself trained . That way what ever dog you get you'll have a fair bit of knowledge of how to treat and train it .

If it's like the dog classes my wife attended you'll also see what not to do and how not to bugger up a dog  so you win all the way to the walkies.

Think up of a set of actions and commands you want the dog to work to , type them out and print several copies so that every family member can consult them and learn them before you get your dog  that way every one will be singing from the same hymn sheet and not end up confusing the dog.

Bitches are usually much easier to train than dogs even if the dogs are neutered.

If you must have a dog get him"  chopped"  as soon as you can so that he is not used to experiencing the testosterone spikes that will rage through his body he'll tend to be les head strong as a consequence .

I offer that if you can have your animal with you 24/7 ( but not on the bed ) for as long as possible the bond between you will be very strong.

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »
Lots of good advice there  :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I agree that bitches are easier to train, though - some are very sensitive and it isn't everyone who can manage a dog like that.  (I know you get sensitive males too, but it's one of they bell-curve thingies, innit.  ;))
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS