Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anconas LF  (Read 4585 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Anconas LF
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:31:38 pm »
I've finally got that new breed that I've been wittering on about. :cred:  There's a chap near to us whose selling up. He's got some really good chickens and I had the choice of about half a dozen breeds that he's been kept really well. I was absolutely spoiled for choice. I turned down the option of Ixworths, Speckled Sussex, Salmon Faverolles, Minorcas, White Sussex and Silver Dorkings. " Come on, spit it out, what did you go for?" I can almost here you saying. Well for better or worse, I plumped for five Ancona hens but unfortunately he didn't have a cock to go with them. Getting one to go with them is my next mission. I could have any of them for nothing but this is the breed that I fancied the most. A bit flighty but supposedly they are layers of good white eggs. Time will tell. I'll get some pictures of my new aquisitions when I pick them up in the next couple of days. I think that I've been pretty lucky. :fc:

And here's a quick update, I've just located an Ancona cockerel for a fiver from the chap who runs this place.
http://www.holdenscountrystore.co.uk/contactus.shtml
Its in Tarvin, which is on the way to my mums house, so my Old Dutch might be getting a visit from her favourite son sooner rather than later.  :excited:

They look qery similar to Exchequer Leghorns?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=anconas+chickens&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=O9TaUeHNGOiM0AX8m4GQCw&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=953&bih=433
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:45:19 pm by Bodger »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Anconas LF
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:46:42 pm »
PS. Has anyone kept Anconas or is still actually keeping them? Reports good or bad appreciated. :fc:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:18:38 pm »
Never kept these birds - but they are a nice looking breed, aren't they?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »
I was interested to read your post. We have just hatched an Ancona chick which came as a "pot luck" egg with a clutch of cream legbar eggs.

Don't know whether it's a boy or a girl yet but they don't have great reviews on t'internet - being reputed to be very flighty and good flights and jumpers as well as being mean. Their rather overblown combs are prone to frostbite.

However, I am inclined to see how things go as I love the white eggs.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 04:06:05 pm »
With a frostbitten comb comes sterility in cockerels. Think it is due to the severe drop in body temperature which kills the testicles. Vasceline on the comb can help, but we used to bring our Leghorns into the greenhouse in Winter as well and heat it as necessary.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:23:25 pm »
Thanks for that folks. With the exception of the winter two years ago, we enjoy a moderate climate here but what I am concerned about, is them being so highly strung. Maybe I made the wrong choice but I too like the idea of getting proper white eggs. :fc:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:34:46 pm »
Yes Bodger - despite their reputation - not all the reviews were bad so I am definitely going to hold out to see a). if my chick is a girl or boy and b).  those lovely white eggs if it turns out to be a hen.

And if she's a bit bonkers then I'll wait and see how she manages in the flock but if it's a boy then he'll be for the pot anyway as I already have a lovely Maran cockerel looking after the girls and potentially an RIR cockerel that I am bringing on.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:43:53 pm »
My father has always loved his poultry and last summer was keen to try and get some of these. Didn't manage it for various reasons. At one time they were known to be prolific egg layers and at the same time had very low food consumption.

There was an article about them in one of the smallholding magazines ...... could have been a couple of years ago now. You might be able to find it by looking at past copies ... sorry can't be more specific. Twas in Country Smallholder or Smallholder.

Interested to know how you get on ..... may want to order some   :excited: ;D  when you get your breeding programme underway.  ;) ;D [size=78%] [/size]

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:58:16 pm »
Touch wood, there shouldn't be a problem with that. :fc:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:31:46 pm »
I keep both Ancona and Exchequers and they are very similar, both in markings and temprement.

No problems with frosted combs even up here in the hills. Both breeds tough as old boots.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 11:14:59 pm »
I'd forgotten that you  kept them Dave. I'll get photos ASAP. The birds haven't arrived yet.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:58 pm »
At long last, here they are. I've never kept this breed before and don't know a thing about them. What do you think, do they cut the mustard?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 10:05:43 pm »
Ancona Pullet. photo 100_3902.jpg height=240

Ancona Pullet.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 10:07:08 pm »
Exchequer Leghorn. photo 100_3900.jpg

Exchequer Pullet.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:09:13 pm by Castle Farm »

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 09:02:33 pm »
Very nice
I am actually  contemplating getting some Bantam Ancona chicks off someone close to us
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS