Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: argh!!! torn udder now!!  (Read 4119 times)

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
argh!!! torn udder now!!
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:15:15 pm »
Has she not gone through enough already with a hard kidding, and loosing one of her babies....she's now got a huge hole in her udder (that the vets done a great job stitching up! ,she got into barbed wire that I thought was unaccessable......
she's on her 3rd course of antibiotics since kidding 3 weeks ago. ....
it's  breaking my heart! !  :'(

When the vet was stitching, her daughter the milker was in the crush, nd noticed SHE'S done her udder too,  nd then kid shouted , nd HER debudding has gone nasty! All in about 5 min. ..... :tired:

Think she's  loosing her milk now too...

The milker's udder not too bad, still milking..

What a nightmare year!! :gloomy:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: argh!!! torn udder now!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:58:34 pm »
 :hug: I feel for you, I think we have all had years like yours ,not that it makes it any easier because you do end up doubting yourself as you feel everything is against you  :gloomy: I certainly during my 20+ years of goat keeping have my fair share. I also had an udder torn on barbed wire, looked awful  but soon healed once stitched because the blood supply is good.  :fc:that all is well for your goats and that things take a turn for the better very soon  :sunshine:

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:57 pm »
Thanks Melmarch,  much appreciated! :wave:
Quite depressed by it all. :gloomy:
My first years kidding was pretty awful too. It does make you wonder if I'm doing everything OK,  or if I'd do better just getting rid of the lot...
Wouldn't be so bad if they weren't  so lovely!!
Even the new goslings haven't cheered me up as much as they should've, it's  probably the weather too.....sure I'll pull out of it, nd they will all be OK. :fc:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:37:42 pm »
owwww poor girls

not to worry, these things seem to happen in batches and then everything will be fine for a while, goats like to kepp us on our toes  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:28:10 pm »
Hi tattycat  :wave: NO don't get rid of them or even think about it , they are fantastic animals but I have to admit that I love my sheep as well, if you don't have any, they're not as most people will describe, stupid animals waiting to die at the first opportunity  :sheep: I get great pleasure watching and just being with them especially when I feel a bit down.  Unfortunately at the moment I have no goats, I lost my last two in December last year and without the sheep I wouldn't like to admit how I might feel. I loved my male goats and the girls but like you there have been times when I have thought What am I doing when things have gone wrong and that applies to both animals !! So chin up and carry on, I used to empty a deep litter pen if things went wrong and sweat it out !! Then sit with the goats or just stand at the gate of the yard and watch, it wasn't long before I had to smile at their antics. All the best and look forward  :excited:

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:05:07 am »
Soo true!
I couldn't stop even if I want too as everyone else needs seeing to!  :goat: :goat:
Nd yes,  have sheep too! :sheep:
Nd yes they made me laugh y'day! I have 2 Togg billy kids known as the Kray twins for obvious reasons!! :roflanim:
Thanks Melmarch. :hug:

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:34:10 am »
Hi tattycat  :wave  So chin up and carry on, I used to empty a deep litter pen if things went wrong and sweat it out !! Then sit with the goats or just stand at the gate of the yard and watch, it wasn't long before I had to smile at their antics. All the best and look forward  :excited:

a deep litter pen is guaranteed to sweat it out  ;D
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 01:01:06 am »
[quote author=tattycat link=topic=60672.msg506264#msg506264 date=
 I have 2 Togg billy kids known as the Kray twins for obvious reasons!! :roflanim:

:roflanim: :roflanim:

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:44:13 pm »
Well stitches are out but she's  only half the goat she was prekidding...
Still worried about her. She's  not got much appetite. I don't really want to give her a 4th course of antibiotics. ..she's had sheep grow it and B vits....anyone any ideas...this is about  6 weeks in now....won't have concentrate,  barley,  alfalfa, hay,  apple, pear, banana, yogurt,  molassas, manuka honey....I'm  running out of ideas....????
Her kids doing OKAY; though so she's  grazing enough for her but that's  about it...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 05:47:02 pm »
She may have acetoanaemia/milk fever (like preg tox just post-kidding) and may also need calcium. LOADS of branches - ivy is good for getting their appetite back, but as much as you can find of willow, rosebay willowherb, thistles, hazel, beech etc. Nettles (she may not want them fresh, some of mine will have them two days dried, others won't touch them even then), chickweed (minus the roots, just cut off above ground), and if grass is all she eats - we cut ours long grass (incl thistles) with the scythe/strimmer with scythe attachment and they love that on a rainy day.

any kind of brassicas - if you don't drink the milk at the moment any "cabbage taste" shouldn't matter

oat cakes or other kind of simple biscuits like digestives

jst thinking about things I have tried...

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 06:47:26 pm »
Cheers Anke

Just managed to get some probiotic yogurt into her, but ONLY with some of her milk in it and she hasn't  got a lot. ...
I've  got a cauliflower so I'll  try her with some of that too....bless her she looks emaciated,  only half the girl she was... :gloomy:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:16:02 pm »
Hope all goes well with her.  :hug:

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 11:48:19 am »
Thanks devonlady. :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS