Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Recent Posts

Marketplace / Re: Land to rent West Lothian and surrounding
« Last post by doganjo on May 25, 2024, 06:08:03 pm »
If you are already in the local area try going round small farms - you might find they are happy to have you for a fixed period for some rent.  If you can afford some time to offer help too that could be an advantage
Well a gym isn't agricultural but if you don't change its ability to be used for agriculture, who would care?  (Planners do not go out looking for problems.)

However, things like insulating or - my pet hate - occluding ventilation eg., by cladding open sides, would impact its ability to be used for agricultural use. 

But the same thing applies, planners do not go out looking for contraventions, it would need someone to report it for the planners to look into it.  (True wherever I've lived in England, and I doubt anywhere else can afford for planning officers to go out looking for contraventions either.)
Absolutely, they depend on nosey and jealous neighbours to do it for them!  :innocent:
Sheep / Re: When is too late to vaccinate pregnant ewes?
« Last post by shep53 on May 25, 2024, 05:53:51 pm »
Didn't see  your post either , just buy a bottle and do all the ewes and lambs together when the youngest is 2wks old oe in 2 batches if very protacted lambing
Sheep / Re: Topping up lambs
« Last post by shep53 on May 25, 2024, 05:43:56 pm »
Well done by Tuesday she may have been.dead :thumbsup:
Well a gym isn't agricultural but if you don't change its ability to be used for agriculture, who would care?  (Planners do not go out looking for problems.)

However, things like insulating or - my pet hate - occluding ventilation eg., by cladding open sides, would impact its ability to be used for agricultural use. 

But the same thing applies, planners do not go out looking for contraventions, it would need someone to report it for the planners to look into it.  (True wherever I've lived in England, and I doubt anywhere else can afford for planning officers to go out looking for contraventions either.) 
Sheep / Re: When is too late to vaccinate pregnant ewes?
« Last post by SallyintNorth on May 25, 2024, 04:39:16 pm »
Sorry you didn't get any responses before now.  For some reason, this didn't come up in my "unread posts" feed until now.

The official line would probably be that they need their annual booster anyway or will have to go back to two jags to reinstate immunity next year, but in practise I personally think it doesn't hurt them to skip a year once in a while once they're on the system, and yes they won't have that additional boost to the antigens in the colostrum but they won't have no antigens, so the lambs will probably be fine.

The advice about vaccinating lambs is to not do it before 3 weeks old if they're from vaccinated mothers, as the vaccine will interfere with the immunity derived from the maternal antigens. 

« Last post by SallyintNorth on May 25, 2024, 04:30:53 pm »
Great spot, and well done for getting the vet promptly.  :fc: antibiotics will work and she'll be able to feed the lambs.  Don't overfill them if you bottle them - it'll help her clear the infection if they keep stripping her out, so keep them a little bit hungry until the infection is gone.  If they're still going short after that, then keep topping them up.  (You'll be able to do it in the field as they'll be running to you for their bottle by then.)
Introduce yourself / Help, I want to buy a farm but need advice
« Last post by Dan_smiff on May 25, 2024, 03:51:21 pm »
Hello everyone. Myself and my brother along with our spouse have a £500k deposit. The 4 of us currently work full time and would be able to carry that on for a while before the farm provides a salary supplement. Our deposit comes from 2 sets of parents that would want to live on the small holding in static caravans or granny annexes with my brother and myself renovating any farm house or permissible barn/outbuilding. We would want to be able to make an income from the land by a few different means, some agricultural like gourmet mushroom farming (I’m a keen amateur) and commercial as my brother is a carpenter and wants to have a large  workshop. We also have other income generating ideas like a shepherds hut for echo tourism, beehives, some flowers/plants and other veg for farmers markets. We would be looking for at least 20 acres in Dorset and after a brief chat with a mortgage advisor we’re given a rough estimate of £1.2m for a mixed use mortgage. What I’m asking is for people in the know to blast holes in the plan or say it’s a workable idea with all the possible permission likely. I’m hoping with the recent changes toward diversification of farm lands that a lot of what we want to do fits well as long as we have the right existing buildings
« Last post by Richmond on May 25, 2024, 12:58:34 pm »
The vet has been and diagnosed beginnings of mastitis. Gave antibiotic and anti inflammatory. Advised trying to strip milk from engorged side (he got a bit out and it was normal, not lumpy) and hopefully once medication kicks in the ewe will allow more suckling. If lambs still only feeding from one side tomorrow then to start bottle top ups.
« Last post by Richmond on May 25, 2024, 09:25:22 am »
Thank you both for your advice. Aiming to catch ewe shortly when I have an extra pair of hands to help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS