Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barred Plymouth Rock Cockerel, Stirlingshire  (Read 2704 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Barred Plymouth Rock Cockerel, Stirlingshire
« on: December 26, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »

I took this photo earlier, just because it amused me that our one remaining turkey has figured out it's best bet is to pretend to be a chicken, and hope nobody notices!!  ;D

However, I also noticed that our two Barred Plymouth Rock cockerels are looking really magnificent now, and are really too good to be casseroled. To give you an idea, one of them is the Newcastle United supporter on the far Right of the photo. Really pretty chaps, with long stripey tails and bright red combs. If anybody wants one, I'll swap for a packet of oxo cubes!  ;D

P.S. Be quick! just like our leftover turkey, their days are numbered!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Barred Plymouth Rock Cockerel, Stirlingshire
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 09:04:53 pm »
Ah, if only you were closer.
I love PBRs, we have two girls who'd love a fella!

we had a cockerel who looked like your turkey - a hungarian naked neck... so your lad might just get away with it abit longer!
Little Blue

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:43:50 pm »
I am too far from you for one of your beautiful cockerels sadly.  But I am interested to know what colour eggs the hens lay.  I am trying to decide on what breed to keep in the hope of pinkish coloured eggs, but a good egg laying type.

Happy Christmas
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:52:33 am »
Hi Sue,

Unfortunately none of our BPRs have the correct tackle for egg-laying   ::), so I can't really tell you. This was really an experiment to see if we could grow our own Rhoadie-rocks, but unfortunately all we have the equipment for at the moment is rhockie roads, which I don't think will work out quite the same!

Anyway, since a Black Rock lays standard-ish light brown supermarket coloured eggs, and so does a RIR, I should think that the egg colour from the Plymouth Rocks would be similar?

We have some RIR-Welsummer crosses running about at the moment, and they lay lovely mid-brown eggs for instance - half way between the Welsummer colour and RIR  :thumbsup:. They do look quite non-descript though unfortunately - that's one in the centre of the picture with the yellow legs, and facing away from the camera.

I feel like we really ought to decide on a breed or two, and stick to it, but frankly I like the mad variety of it all too much. For instance, the boring black hens in the photo are in their umpteenth generation here aparently. (One of them has funky Diva tail feathers, so she's known as 'Diana Ross', whilst the rest of them are just the 'Chicken Supremes'). Anyhow, they keep disapperaing off into the bushes and coming back with families...... of course none of them are to ANY breed standard, but some of the cockerels have been absolutely fabulous to look at, and in all kinds of colours!!  ;D

P.G. Candy

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »
Are the BPR cocks still available. I'm located in Balfron so would be interested.I'm also looking for some hens?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:57 pm »
Hi P.G.   I'm very sorry, but I'm afraid the last one went in a casserole a fortnight ago  :-[.    He was very tasty though, if that's any cosollation?  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS