Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Governments Credit Cruch  (Read 1952 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
The Governments Credit Cruch
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:29:46 pm »
This is extracted from the BBC News website - Don't you just love our chosen leaders?????

Whitehall wine cellar worth £800k 

All but around 500 of the bottles contained wine, Ms Merron said
The government's wine cellar includes stocks of alcohol worth nearly £800,000, a minister has disclosed.

In a parliamentary answer, Foreign Office minister Gillian Merron said it holds 39,500 bottles of wine, spirits and liqueurs valued at around £792,000.

Ms Merron added in her reply to Liberal Democrat Don Foster that "small quantities" of beer were also bought in for official events.

The Taxpayers' Alliance said the sums involved were "staggering".

Ms Merron said that fewer than 500 of the bottles were spirits or liqueurs.

But the stocks did not include beer, which was acquired on an "ad hoc basis", she added.

Mark Wallace of the Taxpayers' Alliance said ministers should not spend any money on restocking the cellar in 2009.

He added: "It's staggering that the Government has run up such a huge wine cellar at the taxpayers' expense.

"Given the tough economic conditions, they should commit to spend nothing on it this year and start using up some of the stock instead."

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: The Governments Credit Cruch
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:36:20 pm »
they should commit to spend nothing on it this year and start using up some of the stock instead."
That's what I'm going to do to ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS