Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heavily pregnant lame ewes  (Read 2631 times)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Heavily pregnant lame ewes
« on: March 18, 2017, 02:44:00 pm »
Advice please, 
I have a couple of heavily pregnant ewes who are lame, one due next Thursday and ready to pop, the other in 3 weeks, I think it's because drying out clay/mud had got stuck between their toes therefore stretched the skin and given them scald. I have flicked out the mud and sprayed on antibiotics but I'm not able to have a proper look. Still lame after 3 days  BUT what do I do .... normally I would turn them over or push them up against a fence. I do have some metacam and antibiotics but I'm reluctant to do anything, they are friendly but not halter trained....... your thoughts, they are greedily eating nuts and grazing on their knees but it is very difficult lumbering around on 3 legs! Bless

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Heavily pregnant lame ewes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 03:19:43 pm »
Its a jugement call I think. If their uncomforable and on 3 legs they won't be eating as much which can be harmfull and catching them ca be harmfull too. I guess it depends on how lively they are. I have Lleyn and I'd treat.

I'd get someone to hold them, one arm under their jaw to stop them moving forwards and another accross their back side to stop them going backwards and lift a leg, like with a horse.  I rarely tip my ewes and I think their a lot calmer for it. Of course there's always one ewe that doesn't cooperate..

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 03:32:47 pm »
Is it definitely their feet that is the problem.

I find that when they are heavily pregnant the lambs can often be sitting on a nerve (or something like that) and the ewes seem lame. Once they have had their lambs they are ok.

Having said that I don't want to put you off checking their feet properly.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:51:09 pm »
As long as they can get round and eat/drink etc I would leave them now until lambing.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 07:49:10 am »
I've noticed one of ours is lame (cracked hoof from jumping on the feeder in excitment I think) but being so heavily pregnant with a just a couple of days to go I'm leaving her well alone. She can walk around, eat etc so shes best left alone We have brought ours in and shes better on the padded straw. 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:47:57 am »
I agree.  My ewes occasionally get a dried muddy boot (generally on the left foot, which is tucked under them while at rest and dries quickly).  I dart in while their heads are in the trough at feeding time and run a finger down between the clees - generally dislodges enough of the mud to see them sound in a day or so.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS