Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas present list  (Read 22774 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Christmas present list
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:49:18 pm »
All this talk about christmas and presents has got me thinking.
What is on your christmas present list for you and family (smallholding related)?
My list has;
an incubator, some lined waterproof boots, a max min thermometer and a soil thermometer and lots of fencing and a pig arc so far
OH will be getting socks as usual (just kidding) santa will be skint by the time he's half completed my list so we'll have to share.
I hope the kids enjoy their homemade wind turbine  - we'll help them build it if they get stuck.................
Tell me what's on your wish list - I wonder what the hi tech process is for putting your list up the chimney
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Christmas present list
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:02:47 am »
I wonder what the hi tech process is for putting your list up the chimney

http://www.santa.co.uk/textfromsanta.html

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:12:22 am »
Oh dear I wish i hadn't asked....... that's horrid
kirsty

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 03:13:41 pm »
Somebody once said " everyday is a gift. Why does it always have to be socks?"

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:44:38 pm »
I have a mega list, and not much chance of getting it, unless I find a money tree in the field!!

Need a lot of new fencing stuff - that  nice horse fencing which is 4ft high with small mesh holes would be nice, but its mega expensive .....a couple of new field shelters, a small compact tractor, with trailer, which would move haylage bales, a new agricultural building ....thats just for starters.  And for me personally, two pairs of nice warm winter boots, one for the farm and one for posh, some good quality thermal clothing, new waterproofs, decent pair of wellies, and warm socks.  And a bottle of baileys please, with some chocs, and that will suit me fine.  Oh, and a couple of smallholding related books or magazine subscription.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:51:47 pm »
Roxy let me know if you find that money tree in your field, and can you send me a cutting please??   :)

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 04:55:40 pm »
I am bah humbug I'm afraid and do not like Christmas time. In these days of greed and over indulgence how many kids actually know the real reason behind christmas these days? On the other hand it does make business busy. Most people just go and buy things they want these days and don't have to wait for one special day any more.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 05:21:22 pm »
Totally agree James. I feel very cheered by Roxy's list though. Its so nice to know that you are hankering after very similar things to me. Actually i have started thinking about christmas a bit - made the chilli vodka, about to make cake, but was struck by the genius idea to give no 2 sister membership to the heritage seed library. At least I think its genius - it may be one of those ideas that I think sh will like just because I would.
kirsty

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 05:23:26 pm »
lol...I am 'bah humbug' too James . As you say there is absolutely no meaning at all in Christmas these days . It should be called lets just blow some more cash day ...lol I really am Bah Humbug seeee.
   At one time a smallholding would be more or less self sufficient , but not these days . Look at the list .. field shelters , agricultural buildings , horse fencing , tractors and equipment , ::) .
 I am not having a dig ... really I am not ... ;D ;D But it does go to show differing outlooks these days.
At one time a field shelter would be made from what was about in the field , stones a few branches , some straw for thatch , an agricultural building (barn) , much the same really ...stones if plentiful or wood from a very local source, and thatch grown either on farm or very nearby , or maybe wild rushes.
 Fencing would be grown in situ , from cuttings taken from other hedges on the holding , during hedging time, now onwards.
 Tractors would be called horses, and the current one would supply the next generation and a good income from the surplus foals (how many tractors have you seen give birth to a brand new one ?), rather than huge amounts of money down the drain like today . Also the fuel to run them GRASS was grown on site.
 We just take so much for granted and don't even think of it . No wonder it is nigh on impossible for a smallholding to be self sufficient !!
  Please don't think I am having one of my rants .....I am not . I am not having a dig at anyone , just thinking how times have changed . However I do hate Christmas , or what it has become ££££
It is now about waste, greed and self indulgence, nothing more really . Such a shame, as it could be a lovely time of year , it was once . 3 lumps of coal is far too many for the fire , that bucket has to last the week !!!! BAH  HUMBUG .....

cheers

Russ

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:22:59 pm »
Don't mind what my pig ark is made out of as long as it keeps the pigs warm. If Santa wants to weave me one or build me a dry stone dyke one I'll be better pleased than if he stops at B +Q for it.
Mind you I don't want woven wellies thanks! Even leather ones would be too much hassle and not waterproof enough for me. Rubber please Santa with a nice polysomething lining in it. Actually a wool lining would be fine and perhaps i could felt a lining  myself. OK Santa rubber wellies with or without lining please  :D
kirsty

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 07:38:39 pm »
I would just like my body to be like it was before I had Cancer - but without the Cancer, if you know what I mean.

Then I would be fit enough to do all the things on the farm the hard way like Rusty says it was done originally.

Living the Good Life and spreading the word

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 07:43:18 pm »
lol....yes ..wellies are the one thing that I would NOT want to do without either . Anything else I could get used to , but wellies are the greatest invention of man...well they are if you live in Wales !!
 Oh and asking Santa for rubber may get links from other sites... :o :o ::) ;D

I would like to be back as I was before my smash ...then I could do the things on the farm the hard way too .... no rubber though , thats another forum ..... :o ;D

cheers

Russ

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 07:54:17 pm »
We live in strange times don't we??????
I think that you need the blue fairy for that one Snoopy. I wish I could be a blue fairy for a day and grant that wish.
My life is such a funny mixture of old and new at the moment. I am sitting on an old velvet curtain of my grandmothers that i made into a quilt typing on a laptop while the water for my bath is heating up in saucepans on top of the woodburning stove. We are living in a wooden shed built 100% by Simon and the first service to be connected was broadband. And i'm a well educated grown up talking about Santa?????????
( i do hope he's listening) :) :) :)
kirsty

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:07:50 pm »
Dear Santa,

If you have time I would love to have a Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker 9 cup as I thought I had bought one really cheaply from ebay only to find I had bought spare filters.  So I have the filters but no coffee maker!!

If the Elves can manage it a slap marker with my herd number would be brilliant too.

Thats it, that's all I am wishing for.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 09:14:29 pm »
no ... your too late mate . Elvis has left the building ......bout 30 odd years ago .....

cheers

Russ

ohhh Elves ...........I see .... ::) ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS