Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What could it be????  (Read 3771 times)

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
Re: What could it be????
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 02:23:23 pm »
Usually a sign of a viral infection like infectious bronchitis. I've got a hen with it at the moment, and she's on antibiotics. If you go see them when they're asleep, you can sometimes hear the infected hen - it sounds like she's talking softly in her sleep.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 02:28:59 pm »
oh didn't know that thanks for the tip. ;)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:02:03 pm »
Why put a hen on antibiotics if it is viral bronchitis? Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections
And if you get waterey albumin eggs should you throw the egg away or can it be eaten?
Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:39 pm »
Why put a hen on antibiotics if it is viral bronchitis? Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections

For the same reason as human beings are put on ABs - to ensure that there isn't a secondary bacterial infection on top of the viral one.  My late husband was Chief Med Lab Tech prior to his death and I asked him that very question very early on in our relationship!  He was against using ABs in this way, as aer most doctors these days - the only difference is he was killed in 1991 - rather ahead of his time it would appear.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 09:09:05 pm »
Thanks Annie  ;D Saved me a job answering  ;D

I don't eat the eggs. The egg whites are very watery and sometimes there's a smell.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS