Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig movements  (Read 5757 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Pig movements
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:01:23 pm »
Hay everybody thank in advance for replys.

In the next couple of weeks I'm due to pick 3breeds of pigs from 3 different breeders how would this work with regard to a movement License?
I thought I could take two cars so I don't have to take any pigs on to anyone else land thus putting them on shut down.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Pig movements
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:10:32 pm »
Pig movements are all done online now. The breeder you get the pigs from will create the movement online then when the pigs get to your holding you go online to confirm receipt. Not sure how driving onto someone's farm with pigs onboard would affect standstills. I'm sure someone will be along soon with the answer to that one.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:31:37 pm »
interesting scenario ... not sure of the answer .. can you get them dropped off to you by the 3 original owners

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:37 pm »
No I'm afraid I can't get them brought to me I'm afraid.
I might just have two do two runs take two cars I go on one persons land In one car and my wife goes on to the other in her car I can just wait down the road. 

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:26:34 pm »
As I understand it as long as the pigs don't leave the car and come into contact with other animals it doesn't trigger a standstill.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:05:02 am »
Agree with Berkshire Boy. Same as, for instance, someone travelling to a show with their own pigs on board, but stopping off to pick up a friend's pigs on the way. With pigs in trailers, the practice is to put one trailer tailgate down over the other - the tailgate of the collecting trailer being on top.
I would say the only problem you might have with transporting them in a car (aside from having to drive home with the windows down!) would be keeping the first one(s) inside the car whilst loading others. Are you using a dog crate? If so, make sure to cable-tie ALL the sides securely.
And don't forget that you're only meant to transport livestock in a vehicle that can be thoroughly washed out and disinfected afterwards.

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:52:36 am »
Yes you can do multiple pickups, but need to meet certain criteria. They're not really written for "back of the car", but if you observe the principals, you'll be fine.

see appendix B of the movement rules

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/movements/pigs/documents/annexa-c-090713.pdf

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:36:13 am »
Will they be spearated for travelling? Otherwise you may find a humungous fight going on in the back of your car ::) ??? . Pigs generally scrap a bit when you first mix them!
mandy :pig:

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 12:41:16 pm »
Ok just to check as one of that ladies I'm picking up from is being a pain!! :rant:

Small change of plan I'm only picking up to two pigs  from two separate destinations ( four in total)
If I had to separate dog crates In the car secured together with cable ties i will be fine right??
The total drivetime from first pickup to return to my land is one hour and 16 minutes And its a 38 mile drive.
I'm meaning, I can do this under a normal movement as in I don't need a separate license correct?
It just seems silly to drive an hour up the road when both pigs are within a  15 minute drive each other to do the drive twice.
Thanks again
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:04:25 pm by Cjnewton82 »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:15:10 pm »
Dumb question, but why not pick up from the awkward person first, then they neither need be concerned, or indeed know !

Anyway, if you obey the rules in my earlier post

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/movements/pigs/documents/annexa-c-090713.pdf
 yes you will be fine.

You will still have two movement licences one from each place you are picking up from.

As you suggest you'll need seperate cages to prevent fighting that you'd be likely to get if you just mixed them in a confined space.

I would not tie the cages directly together, but would have a visual barrier between - eg cardboard, so that the pigs can't see each other.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:36:55 pm »
2. Any vehicle used for the movement of pigs under this licence must be thoroughly cleansed and disinfected in accordance with the Transport of Animals (Cleansing and Disinfection) (England) (No. 3) Order 2003 and the Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order 2006 (WATO). This is without prejudice to the need to comply with all other applicable legal requirements in relation to any movement.

Distance regulations
Those transporting and handling domestic species of cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, domestic equidae and poultry by road on journeys over 65km in connection with an economic activity must be independently assessed in their competence.

The regulation does not apply to the transport of animals where this is not in connection with economy activity. These journeys can be broadly described as those which are:

not in the course of business or trade;
    not for hire or reward.

Multiple Collection must be via tail-gating or the use of double pens as per http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/movements/pigs/documents/annexa-c-090713.pdf

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:36:41 pm »
Dumb question, but why not pick up from the awkward person first, then they neither need be concerned, or indeed know !

Anyway, if you obey the rules in my earlier post

yes you will be fine.

You will still have two movement licences one from each place you are picking up from.

As you suggest you'll need seperate cages to prevent fighting that you'd be likely to get if you just mixed them in a confined space.

I would not tie the cages directly together, but would have a visual barrier between - eg cardboard, so that the pigs can't see each other.

Thanks loads the pig keeping course was great by the way!!

Im trying to pick up from there first I have allready told her about the multiple pick up (wish i hadn't) but this but she is still being a pain.
Do you have any OSB ready anytime soon Clare/Robin"? just in case this lady wont let me do the pick up

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 08:06:24 am »
thanks, sorry no all we have is curently fully booked.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 12:38:12 am »
I have to say I'm very cross  :rant:

Unfortunately, it would appear that we are unable to agree on the transportation of the weaners.  I have contacted AHVLA in Cardiff and undertaken further research which confirms that the exception regulation in respect to multiple pick ups only refers to trailer to trailer (subject to meeting certain conditions); no mention is made in respect to car boots, despite your insistence.  The welfare and bio-security of our herd is extremely important to us and we are not prepared to compromise this in order to accommodate you request.  We will not accept a multiple pick up at our premises.

Therefore, as it is increasingly apparent that you do not respect our farm policy, I regret that we are no longer in a position to sell you the weaners.

Rubbish she was the first pick up so bio-security is not a Issue !And the pigs would only have been in the car for just over a hour.

On a bright note I just saved £100 on two pigs and at least that much again in feed. No OSB now tho   :gloomy::gloomy:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 10:39:02 am »
It's a difficult one ... the problem is a car boot can't be washed out and who is to say you have not had pigs in there before .. only your word and not casting aspersions about you, but with some people what comes out of there mouth has nothing to do with the truth.

A disease, even something like mange which is more uncomfortable takes a minimum of 3 treatments to a whole herd on the same day.

I'd prefer a trailer that I can see is clean

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS