Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Doctors appointments  (Read 8252 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Doctors appointments
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:31 pm »
Sometimes I think they test things like liver and kidneys as routine while they are taking blood for other tests.  Mine seem to be tested regularly.

JFDI

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Hertfordshire
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:10 am »
In 2004 I was taken in to hospital in Stockholm with acute abdominal pains.  Before admission I had to pay about £6 and then got to lie on a trolley in a corridor for 4 hours until a nurse finally gave me some painkillers.   These were so strong that I felt great, discharged myself and went to dinner with some friends.  They drugs wore off at about 2am despite half a bottle of red so I was back in hospital at 3am, paid another £6, and finally got to see a doctor at about  6am.  Gall stones, big ones.

The surgeon thought he'd be able to operate in a couple of weeks so I asked if I was fit to fly.  He said OK so I got on the next BA flight home having been stuffed full of happy pills.  I got a taxi from Heathrow straight to the local A+E where I waved my Swedish case notes and scan.  These were very helpful as the NHS ultrasound machine wasn't working and the words were similar enough for them to guess, apparently. 

In retrospect one of the stupidest things I've ever done.  The painkillers were strong enough for me to have flown without the plane and I didn't tell BA I was sick.   That could have ended badly.  But I was damn glad to be in the hands of the NHS despite its failings.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 06:28:37 pm »
In 2004 I was taken in to hospital in Stockholm with acute abdominal pains.  Before admission I had to pay about £6 and then got to lie on a trolley in a corridor for 4 hours until a nurse finally gave me some painkillers.   These were so strong that I felt great, discharged myself and went to dinner with some friends.  They drugs wore off at about 2am despite half a bottle of red so I was back in hospital at 3am, paid another £6, and finally got to see a doctor at about  6am.  Gall stones, big ones.

The surgeon thought he'd be able to operate in a couple of weeks so I asked if I was fit to fly.  He said OK so I got on the next BA flight home having been stuffed full of happy pills.  I got a taxi from Heathrow straight to the local A+E where I waved my Swedish case notes and scan.  These were very helpful as the NHS ultrasound machine wasn't working and the words were similar enough for them to guess, apparently. 

In retrospect one of the stupidest things I've ever done.  The painkillers were strong enough for me to have flown without the plane and I didn't tell BA I was sick.   That could have ended badly.  But I was damn glad to be in the hands of the NHS despite its failings.

It probably was pretty stupid but I can understand it. 

My son worked in East Timor and had a mini bus drive into his motor scooter.  He sustained a fractured collar bone, his passenger had multiple fractures including hips.  When the 'ambulance' arrived, cunningly disguised as a transit van, Richard and friend had to prove they had insurance before the drivers (not paramedics) would do anything.  They got a wheeled stretcher out of the back and hoiked friend on it, screaming in pain but couldn't get the legs to fold so put it in the van as it was.  Richard objected as the poor bloke's nose was practically touching the roof and there was no means of securing it.  They got it out again and attempted to fold the legs by kicking at them until it collapsed.  It's amazing that Richard's friend was still conscious by this time. 

Yes, we have a lot to be thankful for in this country.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 07:07:45 pm »
I do agree. My "will you still be alive by then" was a joke(almost!)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 10:52:38 pm »
Goldcraig are you ex forces by any chance?

No....Although I have worked overseas for many years, it's just the little things that annoy me  :innocent:
'Grips my sh1t' is a very forces expression, would easily have transferred overseas ........ Haven't heard it for years
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS