Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First pig rearing a success :)  (Read 2278 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
First pig rearing a success :)
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:41:41 pm »
Well thats the end of our piggy year when the final 2 go off to the abattoir next wednesday.

Really straightforward keeping them and lovely animals. The boar went off a few weeks back and weighed in at a hefty 115kg yielding 85kg deadweight meat. We did the butchery ourselves at home and found it great fun and a real experience. He was not tainted and had a perfect amount of fat. Could not help cook up a few wee slices and it tasted delicious.

Will be preparing an air-dried ham from one of the girls and making bacon, chorizo etc so will be after some advice no doubt !

Hopefully will get a few more weaners in next year :)

Thanks for all the advice, especially when one of them was poorly. I can't believe how big they grew.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: First pig rearing a success :)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:10:17 pm »
Well done. We are just finishing year 3 and it is very satisfying. I had some bacon in one of Gordon Ramseys restaurants on Wednesday it was nearly as good as mine.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »
Our 3rd lot go off on 28th Oct. There is nothing like your own pork and the crackling is heaven
Enjoy
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:58:00 pm »
Congrats my second lot go next month and planning to be a bit more creative with the meat this time. Nothing beats your own home grown produce
________
Caroline

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 10:04:51 pm »
I made apple burgers and pork and apple sosige

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 09:00:47 am »
VF, I am planning on doing that too this time. Do you have any recipes to share?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 11:51:49 am »
No we got apple's and crushed them dawn and used since then iv found black pudding  is a good one as well as tomato and haggis. Next time I'm taking  4 legs and turning it all in  to sossage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS