Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: off to Hatfield tomorrow  (Read 5439 times)

chickenfeed

Re: off to Hatfield tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 01:01:16 pm »
 :wave: thank you lillian the disk arrived today i will pass them on to brian at the lop show in a couple of weeks.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 05:09:13 pm »
Glad you got back safe and well Robert and Lillian  :)

It was entertaining as always to be in your company  ;D

See you at Westmorland  :-*

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:10:06 pm »
Hi Jodie,
Yes we did have a brilliant time at the show ;D ;D ;D and we are looking forward to westmorland too ;D ;D ;D.
take care

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 09:11:26 pm »
Hi Kim,
Glad you got the disc, look forward to seeing you both at the next show. ;D ;D

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 01:34:25 pm »
I was surprised to see Hatfield in the subject line.  I grew up there and didn't know such a show existed.  And there I was thinking Hatfield was just a dump..!!  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 01:48:00 pm »
i really cant comment on hatfield the area       but hatfield the big house was quite impressive  it will be even more so if lord Salisbury gives us accommodation in it as promised to Lillian           every area has its downside    but then maybe i have rose tinted specs when i look at the architecture of the buildings where ever i go and i have worked in some right dives of places        beautiful hand carved stone crushed and replaced with concrete steel and glass  even they have there admirers :farmer:

waterhouse

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 05:01:13 pm »
About 95% of Hatfield is pretty grim but old Hatfield is lovely.

One of the current chaps predecessors was smart enough that when the railways wanted to build across his land he agreed on condition that firstly the Great North Road be moved to run past his main gate and secondly that a railway station be built opposite said gate.  The gate isnt that close to the house, obviously: one wouldn't want to be too near the lower orders.  I'm not sure if it was then but at some point the house was reversed so the current front used to be the back. 

The closing meet of the hunt is always at Hatfield, at the back of the house which was the front. The parking is some considerable distance away which allows some of the fizz to be taken off the horses, and the occasional rider to arrive a trifle muddy.  There's a half mile ride towards the house which is done in line abreast and is magnificent. Once or twice it has turned into a bit of a calvary charge so it is now a gentle trot

A few years back a friend brought her small son on a tiny pony in hand to the meet and had to take the direct route since she was walking.  Thus she arrived at the wrong side of the house and was allowed to walk through the it to join everyone else.  Not many ten year olds will be able to say they rode through hatfield house.

When I was a kid there was a WW1 tank rusting in the grounds because they'd used the place as proving grounds.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 07:06:06 am »
Yes, you're both right.  Old Hatfield is lovely and the house is wonderful.  I do actually have happy memories with the brownies camping in Hatfield Park.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS