Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: stray sheep problem - not sure what to do next  (Read 6665 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: stray sheep problem - not sure what to do next
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 09:31:08 am »
I agree.. shes likely to be much less of a risk than anything bought from the market where animals are exposed to all sorts.
Id catch and if not claimed, worm,  vaccinate,  quarantine,  tag and say happy Christmas me!

I think you missed the IF NOT CLAIMED bit!
Im not into sheep rustling.
Also not into shooting stray sheep simply because im unsure what to do with it.

I think everything above begins with catching the bloomin thing!
Maybe put feed out for a few days so it gets a taste for it then take a hurdle or two and a decent crook?

Good luck x

Round here if someone finds they have someone else's sheep they either take it back or get the owner to collect. It generally maintains better neighbourly relations than the above.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 11:51:09 am »
Personally I think feeling all sentimental and bringing the "poor thing" into your flock will likely cause you many more problems in the long run - scab, footrot, lice, resistant worms, enzootic abortion, MV etc the list of potential hazards is actually quite long.... And most farmers cannot be bothered with persistent escape artists.... if nobody has a sheep missing locally it is most likely that she (or he?) is not going to be missed and in the interest of biosecurity the best thing indeed is to have her culled. You may do someone a favour by saving them the bother. I personally will not keep any sheep that jump/escape etc (despite good and maintained fences of course).

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 01:00:38 pm »
Unless it comes onto your land and then maybe it will be easier to catch I would leave it be.  Watch to see if it gets stuck and if it does a good job of it you'll have caught it anyway and can hopefully trace it's owner through the tags.

Here the herdwicks are persistent escapee's. It would be a full time job for someone to shoot them! There is much unfenced commons and open fells. It is impossible to keep your sheep isolated from other flocks even with good walls and fencing.  Above the intakes one flock will abut another. Everyone has to keep on top of their sheep management.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS