Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Recent Posts

And have some method of dispute resolution. Thats' a lot of folk involved. I hope Sally comes on; she lives in a communal facility and will have good advice on that.

Well, I'm not sure how useful Trelay's approach might be when it's basically all family members, that brings all kinds of other dimensions, history, expectations, ... lol.

But for what it's worth, we have settled on aiming to use "mindful communication" (heavily based on Marshall Rosenberg's Non-Violent Communication), not just when there's a dispute but all the time, and always seeking to communicate well enough with each other to understand each others' needs, and look together for an outcome where everyone's needs are met. 

"Needs" being the basic human needs, which give rise to our feelings.  Needs are things like beauty, autonomy, peace, connection.  (Not things like "that field for my mushrooms", or, "I can park my car in that spot", lol.)  All humans share the same basic needs, so working at that level keeps the mutual understanding high - and the attachment to specific outcomes in abeyance.

Our strapline is "Creating a quality of connection with ourselves, each other, and our land, where everybody's needs are met". 

Some nuggets which I find help me :

"All human action is an attempt to meet a need.  The deeper the need, the uglier the expression." 

(And when you're on the receiving end of an ugly expression... "That's a tragic expression of an unmet need".  When I'm with my mother, or latterly also my sister, sometimes I am intoning that constantly under my breath....  It's really helped!  lol)

"If you're taking sides, you are part of the problem"

"If you come into the session with a specific desired outcome, you're not doing NVC".

"Don't give in, nor seek surrender.  If anyone felt like that, you'll all pay later."  (Resentments always come back to bite you - and usually bite everyone.) 

There are other communities which use NVC or similar, but many others have more or less proscribed processes, with roles, escalations, sometimes warnings and/or other consequences.  We have found none of that helpful.  Our handling of disputes is to support those in disagreement with each other to hear each other speak about what happened (factual and observed, not interpolated, not hearsay), how they themselves felt (first person only, no guessing or reporting what others may have felt), and their needs which were not met. 

Understanding generally emerges, and with it connection.  Resolution often follows - but it doesn't always.  Sometimes personal antipathies are intractable, and eventually one or other party may disengage from the supported communication, and that, more often than not, eventually ends up with them deciding to leave the community.  And that does happen, but not nearly as often as things get resolved, and people develop stronger connections through navigating these problems, which make each disagreement generally easier and quicker to resolve.

Can 4 family groups do it that way?  If everyone buys into the approach, sure!   If not, with all the history that comes with family.. gulp! 

I can certainly point you at some resources if you're interested.

However you decide to do communication and handle disputes, it's always a good idea to have the basics really clearly agreed and documented, preferably signed by all.  Basis of ownership, how someone would leave, rights and responsibilities, that sort of thing.  And agree how decisions will get made - majority vote, or consensus?  One person one vote or votes apportioned pro rata investment?  Capital vs income (eg., one family may inject capital up front but not have a great deal of spare income to cover expenditures, another family may have little capital at the outset but a good job and can pay down a mortgage, and some may contribute "sweat equity", non-financial input which nonetheless adds value.)
Buildings & planning / Re: A new track
« Last post by Bywaters on Today at 10:38:38 am »
My recently constructed track as two trenches,  terram lining and filled with crusher run / recycled inert construction waste. Plenty strong enought for vehicles and a nice green centre so it doesn't look out of place
I didn't trouble my local planning department, as I thought they would be too busy  ;D

Possibly over engineered, but it works
Don't forget, planning development rules are said to have been relaxed, very recently

I don't know the details but worth a look
Sheep / Re: Topping up lambs
« Last post by Bywaters on Today at 10:33:30 am »
If the one side is engorged, it will need stripping off (ie hand milking until not engorged) otherwise bacteria will build up and you will be in the same boat

Not asey on your onw, but maybe make a halter and tie her up while you milk her
« Last post by Richmond on Today at 08:35:51 am »
Once again, thanks for the advice. Very grateful to this forum for helping me in areas where I lack knowledge/experience.

The lambs still look hungry this morning even though the ewe is allowing them to suckle both sides. They just seem to be giving up easily on the engorged side. After a quick suck with what looks like no result they then run round to the other teat where they spend longer. I think I will start on top ups later today just to ensure they are getting a bit more. They are bouncing about well enough but just look skinny.
Introduce yourself / Re: Help, I want to buy a farm but need advice
« Last post by Rosemary on Today at 06:21:38 am »
Welcome to TAS. I'm sure you'll find lots of thoughts and advice. Being in Scotland, I wouldn't advise on Dorset except to say "do some very careful sums, both money and time". All the "little" enterprises take resources and when you add one on top of the other, they can soon mount up.
And have some method of dispute resolution. Thats' a lot of folk involved. I hope Sally comes on; she lives in a communal facility and will have good advice on that.

Marketplace / Re: Land to rent West Lothian and surrounding
« Last post by doganjo on May 25, 2024, 06:08:03 pm »
If you are already in the local area try going round small farms - you might find they are happy to have you for a fixed period for some rent.  If you can afford some time to offer help too that could be an advantage
Well a gym isn't agricultural but if you don't change its ability to be used for agriculture, who would care?  (Planners do not go out looking for problems.)

However, things like insulating or - my pet hate - occluding ventilation eg., by cladding open sides, would impact its ability to be used for agricultural use. 

But the same thing applies, planners do not go out looking for contraventions, it would need someone to report it for the planners to look into it.  (True wherever I've lived in England, and I doubt anywhere else can afford for planning officers to go out looking for contraventions either.)
Absolutely, they depend on nosey and jealous neighbours to do it for them!  :innocent:
Sheep / Re: When is too late to vaccinate pregnant ewes?
« Last post by shep53 on May 25, 2024, 05:53:51 pm »
Didn't see  your post either , just buy a bottle and do all the ewes and lambs together when the youngest is 2wks old oe in 2 batches if very protacted lambing
« Last post by shep53 on May 25, 2024, 05:43:56 pm »
Well done by Tuesday she may have been.dead :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS