Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flock record book?  (Read 7170 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Flock record book?
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:21 pm »
I've just been reading some of the topics about ear tags and the legislation around them. I saw someone had mentioned a flock record book, I know you need to keep a medicine record book, but wondered what the flock record book was and where I might get one. Are there any other records you need to keep?
Thank you!
4 pet sheep

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Flock record book?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:34:57 pm »
Do you have a flock number?  Six digits.  You can't own sheep or goats and you can't move them to or from your holding without one.  It goes on the ear tags along with the CPH number you also have to have.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1082278802&type=RESOURCES and keep reading for a while and then go to the Defra website to download the register though when you get the flock number they tend to send a smarter bound copy
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:53:53 pm »
Thanks for the link Smallfarmer - I have my sheep and a holding number and a flock number, but no record book so I shall read the info from the link you've sent and try to get a record book.
Thank you
4 pet sheep

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17:06 pm »
Normally when you get your flock number from Animal Health at the council that triggers them to send you out a flock book aka herd register where you record your running total flock details, retagging, on and off movements etc. I would give them a ring.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:12 am »
If you prefer you can always maintain your records on a spreadsheet.
Just make sure you record the same information as required in a flock book.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 09:35:43 am »
There is an electronic version of the sheep/goat holding register here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/2011/03/27/holding-register-pb13281/

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:39 am »
the records book should mirror what has to go on your return each year which starts from 1 December.  Did you not get a questionaire last time around?  they are normally very hot and you have to complete even if its a zero return.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:47 pm »
They've missed me off as well for the last couple of years but I wasn't proposing to go asking.  My record keeping is perfect and they're welcome to come round but...
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 04:24:47 pm »
You can get a Flock book from the agriculture people, well I did from SEERAD at Thainestone just gave them a phone and it was posted straight out.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:59:30 pm »
They are also known as holding registers, and are available on a well known internet auction site produced by castlemaker print.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:18:37 pm »
As a tight-fisted whassname I wouldn't even part with the cash to print one off, Animal Health give them to you, gratis. You will have to see trading standards/AH sometime in your sheepkeeping career, so make sure when they pop round, you get a big wodge of movement forms, some holding registers and anything else they have that you might want.

I had a visit a week ago or so, as Id just registered a new holding number (admin cock up on my part - dont ask), and I find them pretty helpful - like any of these bodies, they are only there to help unless you are doing something really wrong.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS