Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Saved pepper seeds  (Read 4100 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Saved pepper seeds
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:02:14 pm »
I'm delighted to say that the seeds i saved from sainbury orange peppers and british red chillis have grown into nice wee plants already and they are starting to flower

even though they are labelled as organic, i expected them to be F1 or not the type that would give me anything back, but so far, it's looking good.

if they do ALL come good, i'm gonna have a lot of spare plants - as i planted others in expectation of these not doing anything!!!

Now, i have a bigger problem - I have about 10 different chilli varieties growing, i've not enough space to seperate them all when they flower so i'm gonna get cross polination - and i've no idea what they'll produce next year - if anything. oh well.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Saved pepper seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »
lol trial and error is always a good thing :)

Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:49:53 pm »
Been there got the T shirt - don't matter what variety they turn out to be they all taste nice!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:47:36 pm »
my worry is that they'll not fruit the following year and i'll get nothing from my saved seeds

i've no problems with how they look - i'm sure they'll taste great - so long as there is something to eat.

i'm not one of these purists - my dogs a mongrel, don't mind if my chillis/peppers are mongrels too!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 09:00:39 pm »
never thought of trying that from bought ones! I assumed they are picked green and won't do anything anyway. Great tip for next year. I bought a packet of seeds and they didn't germinate (yet). I have lots of rogue tomato seedlings coming out of my compost though! :&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:29:23 pm »
i had to dry the seeds from the saved fruit

i done that by finding a few old pairs of tights, cutting them up to make wee parcels that i could fill with the seeds

I took some rice, baked it in an oven until it was nice and brown. let it cool down then chucked the rice into an air tight container

i put my parcels of seeds into the jar, secured the lid and then stuck it in a dark cupboard out of the way of light

2 weeks later, they were dried and i then planted them

I got excellent germination rates on the saved seeds - better than the shop bought packets which i didn't dry

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:52:06 pm »
it might be a bit early to tell - did you distinguish between the different colours of peppers and how do they perform? Do seeds from green peppers grow green fruit of are those just picked green as I assumed? I'll probably try the long sweet ones first next year, it's a bit late now...:&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 06:37:43 pm »
too early to tell yet, though i thought green peppers were just under ripe peppers, then they went orange/yellow and then onto red - overly ripe

I have bought some seeds which are called Sweet Peppers and the packet shows Green, Orange and Red peppers on it - so i'm expecting that to come back out!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:20:51 pm »
I suppose that the seeds of red peppers would be most viable then...:&>

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:54:03 pm »
the ones that are growing very nicely in my garden came from Orange peppers

I am actually about to pop out and buy some more organic peppers - those long red pointy ones which taste great stuffed with cheese and cooked on a BBQ!

gonna dry the seeds out and sow them indoors under a heat lamp from about sept/oct onwards - with the intention they'll have a good start by the time march comes round

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS