Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambing not getting started - a question  (Read 5506 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
lambing not getting started - a question
« on: March 13, 2015, 07:48:58 am »
Here is another sleep deprived, possibly neurotic lambing question! We sponged our ewes and only left the ram in with them for a week, accepting the possibly reduced success rate but gaining a short lambing. Their "watch for lambs" date was last Sunday based on the day they all got raddled. They were all raddled about 12 hours, after which the ram lost interest! The first lambs were born Sunday night and Monday morning. Then nothing till Wednesday night. Now there is just one left who we are fairly sure is pregnant. But she is showing no signs of lambing at all. Yesterday she ate less than normal, but today she is still not doing anything about lambing. In the night I was worrying that this might be due to a problem with the lambs inside her, possibly a dead lamb / lambs. That got me worrying that we should get her checked by the vet. So can a ewe not going into labour be caused by dead lambs, or will they usually lamb anyway? Should we get the vet today, 5 days from due, or wait till Monday, 8 days from due.? Thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:30:17 am by mebnandtrn »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: lambing taking ages - a question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 08:11:38 am »
I've no experience of AI in sheep, but in general, where I know the date of tupping, I wouldn't be worrying at 152 days unless she's showing signs of being unwell or unhappy.  By 157 days I would be decidedly twitchy!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: lambing not getting started - a question
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 10:20:36 am »
Might be worth ringing the vet for advice.  If you are certain she is pregnant and is bagged up then maybe she could be induced.   However if the sponging wasn't as successful as expected in getting them to cycle at the same time then there is still a chance that she's not due until this sunday.

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 10:53:57 am »
I should add the ewe in question has had a huge appetite for hay since she came inside for lambing (as did all the ewes before birth). But since yesterday afternoon she has eaten much less hay.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 11:05:29 am »
I should add the ewe in question has had a huge appetite for hay since she came inside for lambing (as did all the ewes before birth). But since yesterday afternoon she has eaten much less hay.
I would say that that might be a sign that she is due v soon.  You could take her temperature just to make sure that she isn't unwell? (also if you were to ring the vet, telling them her temperature would be helpful)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 11:45:29 am »
How do you take their temperature? Its hard enough on our 3 year old little boy, let alone a sheep!!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 11:50:40 am »
Just don't try putting the thermometer in the sheeps mouth! 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 12:17:44 pm »
How do you take their temperature? Its hard enough on our 3 year old little boy, let alone a sheep!!
Lol. Yes, you will need to hold onto it whilst it's up her bum :).  This is where a fast reading digital thermometer is helpful. 
You could also feel her ears - they are a good guide - hot ears => has temperature.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 12:40:53 pm »
From someone who knows, taking the temperature of a sheep is a walk in the park comapred to taking the temperature of a small boy!  Good luck!

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 01:52:04 pm »
And don't make the "bad mother" mistake I did.  Only thermometer I had was out in the tackroom, very poorly son, my mother tells me to take his temperature, so I did!!  Even after hibiscrub, Dettol and lots of hot water apparently the thermometer has a funny taste to it,  I still cant forgive myself!!!!!!!!!!  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:  (pleased to say my son is alive and kicking 10 years after the  nasty experience)!!

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 02:46:46 pm »
See absolutely nothing wrong with that!!  :roflanim:

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 07:35:51 am »

I would say that that might be a sign that she is due v soon.  You could take her temperature just to make sure that she isn't unwell? (also if you were to ring the vet, telling them her temperature would be helpful)
[/quote]

Still nothing happening but she has not got a temperature! Using the ear feeling method at least. Although she does think I am mighty strange as not only do I keep peering at her back end for discharge but now I feel her ears! I guess I will wait a till Monday then if still nothing happening I will get the vet as something inside me thinks something is not right. Does anyone have any experience with dead lambs and whether the ewe will go into labour on her own if they have died inside her?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 07:38:02 am »
If she has a temperature, that's not a good sign.

If you think she needs the vet, get her to the vet today, don't wait another two days.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 09:45:56 am »
I had a dead lamb last week. Ewe looked very quiet all morning, kept have little pee, by lunchtime she was pawing the ground, up and down, etc.  By 9pm I was panicing and pulled out a dead lamb followed by a live lamb.  If she is showing signs of labour, pawing ground, taking herself off to a quiet spot, lying down, getting up etc, and not producing then you could have a problem.  But if nothing at all is happening, she might not be ready.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 10:51:57 am »
Not much of an appetite could well indicate that contractions have begun.  Could also indicate an infection which is why taking the temperature is useful.  Some of ours give signals for several days before they settle down to giving birth.  The lambing following the very wet Winter of 2012 all our ewes were nine days late - now that was confusing!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS