Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Registering with DEFRA  (Read 5917 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Registering with DEFRA
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:18:06 pm »
So, got some chickies on the way and it's going to take us over 50 and I'll need to register and get a CPH number. Anyone registered? What do I need to be aware of? Will I be inspected. Do I need an egg packing area or is that for 300+?

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Re: Registering with DEFRA
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:09:03 pm »
Egg packing area = No

Iam led to believe you don't need a CPH but I already had one

You need to register with (it has loads of names)
AHVLA or the GB poultry register 0800 634 1112
It's really easy they ask you a few questions, they'll send you an email then send you a letter by snail mail = job done.

Simples !

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:31:41 pm »
Thanks Andy, I see it's DEFRA over 350 or if you sell through a public market which we don't, just on the gate and locally.  I'm getting a CPH soon but don't have one yet.

I suppose we put some hatching eggs through eBay, not sure if that counts as they are not for consumption but potentially could be I suppose. I'll ask them I guess.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:44:39 pm »
We are registered. Very easy as said. No inspection ..... not yet anyway.  ;D

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 06:49:05 pm »
Thanks, better get it sent off.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:12:33 pm »
I registered by phone - it was painless enough, but also absolutely hillarious!

"And how many ducks do you have?"
"Three"
"And their purpose?"
"Organic Slug Control"
"I'm afraid the computer only allows me to enter meat or eggs".

And then....

"So that's you all registered. You just need to inform us if the number of any species you keep changes by more than 20%".
"So I have to call you if one of the geese dies?"
"Well, er, technically yes, but best use your common sense I suppose"

:roflanim:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 11:42:09 pm »
I registered earlier in the year. I filled out the paper form and the only questions I had problems with were over the number of each species because it does vary through the year and I don't know how much they'll peak at each year (which is what they want). So I just guessed that part - rest super simple. Only other thing was I posted the form back and didn't hear anything back for a couple of months. Suddenly realised just before my first hatch of the year I'd not hear anything so phoned them up and the registration was all OK but they just hadn't sent the confirmation through - which they then did.

Egg processing is a completely different registration process and only if you want to sell eggs at a local market or to other businesses (e.g. through a farm shop). It was you who'd been on the course with Pammy Riggs wasn't it? That's the bit you need to refer to.

H

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 07:45:06 am »
selling eggs at a local market does not require any registration so long as the eggs are your own production and you are selling direct to the consumer. It is deemed the same as farm gate sales.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:04 am »
This seems to say you do need to register for local markets.

https://www.gov.uk/eggs-trade-regulations

You must also register with EMI as a producer if:

you have 50 or more hens and any of your eggs are marketed at a local public market

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:51 am »
I was going to quote the same as Stereo! I guess you could be selling at a local market if you have fewer than 50 birds but you'd be doing well unless you have 49 hybrid hens who all lay daily and you're prepared to set up a stall for just over 50 half dozen packs a week. I'd imagine it would barely cover the stall cost.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:32 am »
This seems to say you do need to register for local markets.

https://www.gov.uk/eggs-trade-regulations

You must also register with EMI as a producer if:

you have 50 or more hens and any of your eggs are marketed at a local public market

OK I stand corrected but I don't have 50 laying hens so I don't need to register.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 11:23:26 am »
I was going to quote the same as Stereo! I guess you could be selling at a local market if you have fewer than 50 birds but you'd be doing well unless you have 49 hybrid hens who all lay daily and you're prepared to set up a stall for just over 50 half dozen packs a week. I'd imagine it would barely cover the stall cost.
I don't think many people would be selling just eggs. We sell our pork and have the eggs as an add on or even quite often give them away as a freebie if someone's bought meat.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 11:55:08 am »
Is it ever worth it? I wonder about doing eggs on a bigger scale. If you are looking at maybe 50p / £1 profit per box max, you need to shift a lot. I can see if you are doing other stuff as well. But I know a few people who just do eggs and I could never see a profit in it that made it worth scaling up for.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 12:07:54 pm »
We make a bit of a profit from eggs, not enough to be a standalone business but enough to help. We need to supply our community farm members with eggs every week throughout the year. In order to have enough chickens and ducks to do that in spring and autumn, it means we're going to have quite a surplus in the summer months so I run an egg round as well just for the main part of the laying season.
We also find its a good way to bring new people into our pool of potential customers - lots will sign up for half a dozen eggs a week who we can then persuade to take half a pig from us later on in the year!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 12:21:42 pm »
Yep, I can see it as an add-on - that makes sense. I charge above average and still don't cover feed costs (partly because I will insist on feeding organic etc.). So I'm hatching more this year to see if I can break even by selling POL or breeding groups.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS