Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: are pigs happy in the mud  (Read 3271 times)

Valleycommando

• Joined May 2014
  • Rhondda Cynon Taff
are pigs happy in the mud
« on: May 25, 2014, 05:23:16 pm »
as my recent posts have said i have 2 8-9 week old pigs at the moment i have them fenced into a small area which has about 10 concrete slabs laid down so they have somthing solid to eat their food off as it is pretty wet in south wales at the moment the rest of the area which will probably take another 18-20 slabs is absolutly soaken wet and i was wondering if it would be easier just to put the slabs down and have them totally on concrete slabs until the weather changes a bit or do they really love the mud and water or do they just put up with it because they have to i have been to feed them tonight now and they seem happy there but i was just wondering would it be worth slabbing the rest of the area and keeping them on there until the main land dries out a bit

Thanks in advance   :thumbsup:
What does not kill you only makes you stronger !!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: are pigs happy in the mud
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »

I think pigs love a muddy wallow on a hot dry day, but they don't like to be constantly in mud when it's cold.  Pigs prefer to be clean and dry with a nice fresh straw bed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:22:35 pm »
I wouldn't worry about them too much. Pigs are ok in mud especially now as it's quite warm, bit different in the winter but they are tough animals and love digging around in the mud looking for treats.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »
There are two answers to your question
Yes in hot weather they love a muddy wet wallow and they will tolerate a certain amount in a wet spring or autumn,
No if they are permanently axle deep, have to find their food in it, its cold and full of their poo and wee (believe me it happens I've seem it! ::))
In muddy weather feed in trugs or washing up bowls or troughs, regularly clean their water, make straw lakes so they have a dry area to retreat to, make sure their beds regularly have wet straw removed and dry straw refreshed in its place.  When its really middy we bring our pigs into our buildings yes even in summer last year whenit was excessively wet as we're on clay and well its awful.
Use your common sense..........would you like to have to wade thro it for your food or a drink every time, or go out for a wee in it? Theres your answer!
HTH
mandy :pig:

Valleycommando

• Joined May 2014
  • Rhondda Cynon Taff
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 08:51:00 pm »
thanks for the replies i have just been up there and put the rest of the slabs down so they are on concrete at the moment the main area is not too bad but i know with 2 pigs running around it it will be awfull in a few days so they can stay there for a bit longer as they are still small anyway and seem very happy at the moment

thanks for the replies :wave:
What does not kill you only makes you stronger !!!

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 09:33:04 pm »
I hope you bedded the slabs on concrete or you may find them up ended when they get a bit bigger and stronger!! ;)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:56:06 pm »
I once had a 16 week grower turn over a large Butler sink full of water and smash it to smithereens. We could only just lift it between us when empty!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS