Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scots Grey cockerals  (Read 3200 times)

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
Scots Grey cockerals
« on: September 29, 2013, 01:37:10 pm »
Last chance for a large fowl Scots Grey cockeral before they become soup! 3 left  :yum:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Scots Grey cockerals
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »
If they are going for soup anyway it would be worth taking the capes from them.

You'll probably make more off each cape than you would selling the whole live cockerel.  ::)

They will sell well on eBay, people tying fishing flies use them and the barred capes are quite difficult to find.

its basically just a matter of cutting the skin around the comb, down the front of the neck and around the base of the neck so that all the cape feathers are included.

I just give the skin a light scrape then leave them out to dry, pretty easy to do and will add a few more £'s to the kitty for something that was going to be binned anyway.

The saddle feathers (around the tail) from the cock birds can also be used.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRIZZLY-Genetic-Rooster-Cape-Quarter-fly-tying-/251289592862?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3a8206e41e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grizzly-Rooster-Neck-Cape-for-Tying-Dry-Fly-Hackles-/141061592849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d7ed1711

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:31:15 pm by Clansman »

goff

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:12:47 pm »
Where abouts are you thanks

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 10:56:08 am »
Sorry to butt in to your thread Oneeyedhen!  ;D

Goff, she is up near Perth, you are near Manchester yes?

I pass by both your areas regularly so if you can agree something between you I could relay them down to you ;)

Unless they have already been sooped!  ;D

p.s. do you already have Scots Greys Goff?

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:17:16 am »
Thanks Clansman and I like the idea of selling their capes I might just give that a go. Yes they're still here at the moment Goff.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 04:22:43 pm »
I was just wondering, Clansman, do I skin them as soon as they are disspatched or wait until they have been hung for a bit? I usually just skin then to take the breast and legs off but thats after they've been hung. Any advise would be great.
Thanks.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 04:57:51 pm »
i've done them both ways in the past but I don't think it'll matter either way.

I don't really go for the proper skin curing as such.

I just skin them, scrape as much as i can off the underside, and leave them in a dry place outside for a few weeks till they dry and go hard  ;D

And now i've just given myself some eBay competition!  ;D

will we start price fixing??  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:01:15 pm by Clansman »

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:31:00 pm »
Clansman would bantams capes be of any use, thinking about my spare Scots Greys.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:13:06 am »
Looks like the market might be flooded soon  ;) . How much are they worth then? I looked up ebay and I've seen them from 99p - £12!  Hope its a good year for fly fishing  :excited:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:16:16 am »
Clansman would bantams capes be of any use, thinking about my spare Scots Greys.

Yep they'll all sell, just depends what size of feathers people are looking for.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:21:18 am »
Looks like the market might be flooded soon  ;) . How much are they worth then? I looked up ebay and I've seen them from 99p - £12!  Hope its a good year for fly fishing  :excited:

Pot luck!  ;D

Aim high, i'm not at the stage yet i can sell any but i'd try for a minimum of £10 each and see what happens.

It's been many years since I sold any, I used to keep jet black bantams and large fowl, both the cock and hen capes were good sellers, i used to get £3-5 for a cape in the days when you could buy a live chicken for 50p  ;D

But even £5 is good for something you'd normally just bin  ;D

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 10:26:25 am »
Thanks for all your fab advise. Now to do the deed and a decent job of skin-ing  :fc: .

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 11:39:19 am »
Its actually one of those jobs thats a lot easier than you imagine  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS