Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My day today & Bamford to the rescue.- Now : HATCHING CHICKS  (Read 7771 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: My day today & Bamford to the rescue.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 07:55:48 pm »
I keep checking on the little cheepies every 1/2hour - no patience me  ::)

Never used the incubator method before - always let the hens do their thing, so no idea how long this process usually takes  ???
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »
remember, lifting the lid to check reduces humidity an increases the risk of them drying in the egg. our best hatch rate is when they have been left alone completely.
lets do the pros and cons for assisting..
the ones wev had that pip themselves then seem to dry out, 90% of the time seem to have swollen bottoms then bleed alot. if we leave them, they die. any suggestions?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »
Oh dear  ???

It's ok, I'm not fiddling - just peeking through the transparent casing  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
My day today & Bamford to the rescue.- Now : HATCHING CHICKS
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:43 pm »
I have helped a few out before...and seen that, bleeding,  if I am not mistaken that is because the umbilicus (for want of a better term) has not shrivelled.

If i help nowadays it is only to clear the chicks head from membranes...ie to prevent drowning or suffocation. I think we need to open this up to more expert folk...will change the title to invite more comments.
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »
remember, lifting the lid to check reduces humidity an increases the risk of them drying in the egg. our best hatch rate is when they have been left alone completely.
lets do the pros and cons for assisting..
the ones wev had that pip themselves then seem to dry out, 90% of the time seem to have swollen bottoms then bleed alot. if we leave them, they die. any suggestions?
I'm only guessing (an educated guess as I've hatched two lots of duck eggs with only about 50% success).  I would think you need more water if they are hatching but are dry, perhaps the bottoms are sticking to the shell.  I would help them, but be sure of the dates.  I helped one of my ducklings out but it was too soon and it was still attached to the yolk sac - it died.  Another of mine had pipped and there was a hole about an inch in diameter, it was late so I went to bed and reckoned it would be dry and fluffy when I came through in teh morning - it was dead too.
I agree, don't open the lid too much, the temperature will really drop.  Hatching eggs is a very exciting pastime but can also be heartbreaking.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: My day today & Bamford to the rescue.- Now : HATCHING CHICKS
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 09:16:21 pm »
Haven't opened the incubator since yesterday, when I checked the water level - half full in both reserviors - honest  ;D  I can see the little holes through the drum.

Just desperate to know how long they're likely to take  ;)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 09:25:08 pm »
it could be a few hours....its a bit like any animal giving birth...... could be hours...could be minutes....every one is different...sorry!! ;D
ET
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 11:10:49 am »
Any news, pics?   ???
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS