Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Recent Posts

Coffee Lounge / Lans in West Lothian and surrounds
« Last post by Protea on Today at 09:39:16 am »
Hi everyone we are urgently searching for a place to rent, ideally in the West Lothian or the surrounding areas. Our situation is quite pressing, as we have rescued animals that depend on us. We currently have two static caravans and only two goats as livestock. We need a temporary place to stay while we work on securing a mortgage. Unfortunately, we can't stay where we are now, and we're feeling quite stuck. If anyone has a farm, land, any recommendations, or know anyone it would mean the world to us. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Greg
Marketplace / Re: Land to rent West Lothian and surrounding
« Last post by Protea on Today at 09:35:33 am »
Hi,

Thank you, I'll try the coffee lounge as well. Didn't think about a poster but thanks that's that's a good idea as well, much appreciated.

Thanks
Greg
Marketplace / Re: Land to rent West Lothian and surrounding
« Last post by cans on Today at 07:46:57 am »
Good morning Protea,

To get wider coverage of your situation you could post in the "Coffee lounge" as it is a matter of urgency

Have you tried a poster in local livestock markets, farm supply shops?

I hope you find a solution soon 
Sheep / Re: Keeping a ewe that had mastitis separate - how long?
« Last post by JFW67 on May 23, 2024, 07:40:13 pm »
Thank you Sally.

I have seen this observation a good number of times in my ‘researching’ mastitis these last few weeks.  She won’t be culled but I think retirement is the outcome.

Thanks again
Crofting / Re: DIY haylage
« Last post by SallyintNorth on May 23, 2024, 02:20:42 pm »
Broadly, if the grass is thoroughly dry, ie., hay or pretty nearly, when you bag it, then it's haylage.  If it's wetter, or it's not grass, then it's silage.  There are also chemicals you can add to help the fermentation, if you use these then it's silage not hayage.
« Last post by SallyintNorth on May 23, 2024, 02:18:32 pm »
Plus, my experience is that, once a ewe has had mastitis, even if her udder does come back to looking and feeling normal, it is likely to not be as productive in future, which means hungry lambs, which in itself can cause mastitis (through their interminable grinding on at an empty udder), which is then highly likely to spread (as the hungry lambs pinch milk off other ewes...), and/or you end up with a dead lamb, or a lamb you have to rear on a bottle or foster....  So, even though you can get ewes who recover fully, in practise it is, in my opinion and that of many sheep farmers, best for the flock to cull - or retire - any ewes who've had mastitis once they've reared their current lambs. 

Marketplace / Land to rent West Lothian and surrounding
« Last post by Protea on May 23, 2024, 06:14:10 am »
Hi everyone we are urgently searching for a place to rent, ideally in the West Lothian or the surrounding areas. Our situation is quite pressing, as we have rescued animals that depend on us. We currently have two static caravans and only two goats as livestock. We need a temporary place to stay while we work on securing a mortgage. Unfortunately, we can't stay where we are now, and we're feeling quite stuck. If anyone has a farm, land, any recommendations, or know anyone it would mean the world to us. Thank you so much in advance for your help!
« Last post by JFW67 on May 22, 2024, 02:17:45 pm »
Thanks for the clarrification.   :thumbsup:
« Last post by twizzel on May 22, 2024, 01:03:47 pm »
Thanks for the reply Sally and Twizzel.

Her udder still feels a bit odd but no sign of any discharge for weeks.

Twizzel - Why sill she be a potential risk in the future?  Is this because she will be more prone to mastitis or residual bacteria from the bought?

Thanks again.

The side(s) of the udder that had mastitis will never feel right again, she’s likely got damage to the tissue inside the udder and possibly some residual, walled off infection (especially if the udder is lumpy) that will probably cause mastitis again next lactation, which isn’t nice for her and poses a big risk to the rest of your flock. Generally with mastitis the aim is to save the ewe, rather than the udder.
Sheep / 9 ewes to shear Northamptonshire
« Last post by Farmernick on May 22, 2024, 11:51:51 am »
Hi,

Is anyone available to shear my wife’s small flock in the next few weeks? Total of 9 ewes, based just outside Kettering.

Cheers,
Nick

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS