Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where are we at with fleece prep mills in 2021?  (Read 4011 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Where are we at with fleece prep mills in 2021?
« on: August 24, 2021, 12:44:25 pm »
As the title. 

The mills I'm aware of are NFC, Halifax, um?

I've just found a new one at Duns in the Scottish Borders (new to me that is) but their waiting list is a year.  Otherwise they sound lovely and within visiting distance.

However, I know there are a couple of new mills in the offing and if I remember correctly there's a newly renovated one up north somewhere (north Scotland that is) but inevitably I can't remember what it's called.

I'm only needing three (or four if I have to wait til next shearing) fleeces blended together and turned into roving so not a big task and I need a small mill for that.

Can anyone provide a list of which mills are operating and what they do?  Websites would be great.  When I consult Mr Google he comes up with all sorts of options just not fibre processing mills  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Where are we at with fleece prep mills in 2021?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 12:57:07 pm »
It looks as though Griffiths Mill (Derbyshire) has resumed normal service.

Rampisham Mill (new mill in Dorset) is not ready yet but the day will come.  Get on their mailing list to be among the first to know! 

Natural Fibre Company (Cornwall) it's 10kgs min for rovings, 20kgs for yarn

Paul at Halifax (east Yorkshire, not in Halifax!) will do single fleeces - but do make sure you send him only the very best fibre, and clean.  He doesn't do any further skirting and doesn't scour them hard.

I don't know of options further north these days, sorry. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 12:58:44 pm »
I always say that if a wool processor does not have a one year waiting list in late summer, then there is something wrong ;)  (Since almost all the wool they process comes off over the period March through July...)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 04:55:47 pm »
I always say that if a wool processor does not have a one year waiting list in late summer, then there is something wrong ;)  (Since almost all the wool they process comes off over the period March through July...)

Yes very true but it does mean that I might as well do it myself if I have to wait that long . I'm just feeling lazy and wanting a quick return so I can start spinning those fleeces.  Actually I might as well put myself on the local mill list then cancel if I get it done before.

I had fleeces done by Paul at Halifax (named after the wartime plane not the place of course  :D ) and yes they don't have a big scourer, just the other one whose name I have forgotten washing all the fleeces that come in, and blow drying them. That was in 2013 so things might have changed since then.  They also blended in alpaca to Heb for me and that was lovely (as was the cuppa they made  :yum: )  I'll see what their waiting list is like now.

I've looked at Rampisham Mill and signed up for newsletters.  Apparently it was also on Farming Today a few days ago.  My, that's cost a bomb.  Hope it's not reflected in the processing costs  :o

For completeness, the Mill at Duns is: www.thebordermill.co.uk

I'll search a bit more for mills further north.

Thank you Sally  :wave: for going to the trouble to post the links.  Happy  :spin:

If anyone knows of mills anywhere else, please do post them here  :knit:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 04:58:04 pm by Fleecewife »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 08:19:03 pm »
Paul and the Halifax mill have moved from Pollington to Carnaby near Bridlington.  Unfortunately due to covid I did not get a tour when I took him some fleeces last summer.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 12:06:25 am »
https://www.halifaxspinningcompany.co.uk

Oh yes :idea: it's all change...and they have a shop which I think isn't open at the moment.  Thank you for the info [member=75709]Buttermilk[/member]

When they were at Goole it was easy to get to from the motorway (on my way south) but Bridlington is rather far from anywhere else unless you live there!  It's good to see the whole place upgraded and expanding, it's good to see a successful business :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS