Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drinking water  (Read 2942 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Drinking water
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:43:30 am »
There was a post sometime ago about whether sheep needed water or not in winter. I replied saying that yes my sheep drink water particularly after eating hay. However a friend of mine has a 9 month old ewe lamb in the field next to mine and I have noticed it drinking large quantities of water. I thought one sign of worms was drinking a lot, but he said he'd recently wormed it. It does have some creep and has access to hay.  It does look healthy and theres no scouring. Just wondered what others thought - is this normal? Thanks
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Drinking water
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 10:53:35 am »
If they are eating cake and hay they need plenty of water, so if it's eating the hay it wouldn't surprise me to see it drinking.

What do you mean by "large quantities of water"?  And how often?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 10:57:18 am »
It stands for quite a few minutes at the bucket several times an hour - although I'm not watching it all the time.
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:58:04 am »
Ok, that's wrong.  Nothing should drink that much. 

Is it a wether lamb?  Is it peeing ok?  Is the belly swollen?  (Thinking urinary calculi, maybe it's being fed a cake without the additive and is drinking loads to keep things moving through.)

Otherwise, I'd suspect some sort of infection or blockage or something. 

If it were mine I'd check mucus membranes and temperature, if those normal maybe get poo tested for eggs of anything the wormer might not cover, and/or talk to the vet about something broad spectrum.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:09:04 pm »
Thanks Sally - it's a ewe lamb. She's weeing fine and generally seems Ok but  I agree with you about  having a worm count done. I'll suggest it to my friend.
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS