Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sexing Ducks  (Read 9399 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Sexing Ducks
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:12:41 pm »
Hi

I've got a feeling that almost all of my Aylesbury's are male... I could have sworn that they were 3 trio's that we bought  :o  They are about 4 - 6 mths old and their beaks are now all orange except one rather pinky one and they all have curly tails - Before I poke around their bottoms looking for something that I  'wouldn't know one if I saw one'   :D   Has anyone here got any advice on sexing aylesbury ducks? 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Sexing Ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »
If the tails have curled then I would say they are definitely Drakes

What noise are they making - are they croaking or quacking?

Think they may be dinner  :innocent:
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:15 pm »
A little bit of both - They seem to be getting more quacky than they were a month ago,  We had planned on eating the males anyway, but it would have been nice to have had some females left for eggs later on! 
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:49:22 pm »
This is the best demonstration of the difference I have found online.

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

The curly tails are also a give away. If you do decide to keep one for future breeding keep the one with the pinky / flesh coloured bill. It is actually the colour Aylesbury's are meant to be!

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 10:21:17 pm »
Hi,that is so spot on.I have used this quack test  for sexing ducks for a couple of years and amazing as it sounds I have found it 100% accurate.
If you have any doubt pick one up the females make a right din,any that don't are male.I pick them up check for the sound and mark them with a spot of sheep marker spray or fit a leg ring at the same time.

Graham.
Graham.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:23 am »
 :wave:     Had a good look this morning.... Thanks for all the advice  (The link was a great help too  :thumbsup:)   Suspicions correct  8 male & 1 female  >:(     I guess we will be eating lots of duck !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS