Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deceased Pig Pal - What to do with lonely sister?  (Read 2112 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Deceased Pig Pal - What to do with lonely sister?
« on: June 28, 2021, 01:03:59 pm »
Hi, we have two micro pigs who are pets, but kept very much like normal livestock in a field. I mention this so that everyone understands, they don't have humans as a constant company, they do not live in the house. Much to our devastation Elvis died on Friday night, he was only 5, leaving Rosie his sister on her own.

We are absolutely gutted but now our thoughts turn to how to ease things for Rosie, who looks very sad and lonely.

I've never wanted to keep any animal on its own, we always have had 2 or more - but as she not used to other pigs should Rosie be left as a single so as not to stress by introducing other pigs?
Would you recommend we get a  young piglet or two (so she is the boss) to keep her company?
Would she do better to go to somewhere where there are lots of pigs?
Obviously the idea of giving her to someone else, is my least preferred option as I'd love to keep her for many years to come but need to make sure we do what is right for her in the first instance.

Any advice welcome.....can you add pigs to pigs or not? How soon should this be done? All practical help gratefully received. Here's a pic of my dream team pair (Rosie is the white one and Elvis (my poor boy) on the right). Thank you in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:09:20 pm by Chicken_House »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Deceased Pig Pal - What to do with lonely sister?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 04:35:17 pm »
Maybe you could look at taking something from a rescue centre?

It is possible to introduce pigs. Keep them next to each other to start with then make sure they have lots of space when you put them together.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS