Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Here's a story to tug at the heart strings.......  (Read 9738 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Here's a story to tug at the heart strings.......
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 05:03:34 pm »
I am probably coming from the other side on this - if I asked my daughter and gave her the choice I would do as she decided. Otherwise I would just set a pecedent and ALL future failures would probably end up in the same discussion. BUT I don't have adult pigs, so maybe I am not the right person to advise on this.

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 06:56:00 pm »
If you can find a good use for her and costs are kept to a minimum then I would say keep too.   If she had no use and was a big pig in need of the usual amount of feed then maybe otherwise.... 

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 12:11:07 am »
Oh dear, this has set me off again! Still bubbling with emotion having had my first visit to Shotts this morning :'( all be it with four very troublesome sheep.
What a dilemma, I agree with everyone! Having asked Rebecca though I think you should go with her wish, BUT Rora does seem to have potential useful roles and she does look sooo sweet. (My Tottie used to do that with her food too!) Good luck
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 06:52:08 am »
I think you are level headed about what would normally go or stay but,on rare occasion, there s  going to be that 'special one' that has a place in your heart for good reason.
Perhaps your daughter is just trying to do what she would normally expect you to do and live up to that. Deep down she may really want to keep Rora.Like Bionic  I'd  speak to her again letting her know how you feel about Rora and see what she says. If she doesn't feel so deeply attached and still wants her to go then sorry but you did ask her  :'(  And be proud that you have brought your daughter up with such a good understanding of the way farm life is.    :fc: for Rora

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 01:11:00 pm »
Keep.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 03:12:15 pm »
You lot are such a load of softies  :innocent:  :farmer:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 03:51:34 pm »
I would go with keeping too, but I suppose at the end of the day it's maybe what your daughter will decide and if she decides to go with getting a new pig then you should be very proud of her too.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 03:59:27 pm »
I've seen a picture now, so it's personal please keep she's lovely! another softy :innocent:

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 04:54:29 pm »
Well, as I see it you only gave Rebecca two choices, and she chose.  How about if you gave her an extra choice I.e.  I'll have your pet pig as my pet pig and you get another for showing?  :thinking:   ;)

A sneaky "keep".

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 07:26:07 pm »
Karen, with as many pigs as you have, surely you won't notice an extra mouth to feed  ;)
Besides, as others point out, if she's truly barren she can earn her keep as a companion pig for lonely boars. We use a castrated male for that (OK, we send them for bacon at 9 month-1 year and change to a new one) but sounds like Rora would be even better company for them: like having a girlfriend on the pill  ;D
If you love her that much, I'd say keep her  :hug:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 07:27:57 pm »
Keep her! We have my first pig Poppy who has never been pregnant, she keeps the boar happy, and companian to whoever needs one! The thing with us is if its a pig destined for sausages, it doesnt get a name (or a silly one) but Rora has a pretty name, been shown, shes got a history with the family.
KEEP HER  :fc:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 07:32:42 pm »
............and she is a beautiful pig :love: :pig: :love:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 08:21:10 pm »
It sound to me that the overwhelming consensus here is in favour of KEEPING Rora!!

:pig:     :excited:    :pig:    :excited:     :pig:    :excited:    :pig:    :excited:    :pig:    :excited:    :pig:    :excited:     
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 02:50:33 am »
 Have you tried AI or talked to a vet about your troubles.  short of that cull her

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 10:09:09 am »
So come on Karen spill the beans is she a keeper or a goner. :excited:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS