Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fallen/dead stock  (Read 1663 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Fallen/dead stock
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:02:23 pm »
Hi all! 
I've put this on the sheep bit too, but just in case you don't all read that....

I've read on here of late the fees charged to collect dead sheep.
I thought it would be the same all over the country but it may be worth some of you checking, but certainly on the inside cover of my flock register book there are details of free collections.
I quote from my book.....
'FALLEN STOCK
Sheep and goats can be collected free of charge provided they are over 18 months or with at least 2 permanent incisors.
Sheep 01823 337922
Goats 0800 525890'.

Might be just somerset that does this, but worth you all checking. Spending over the odds for vets fees is one thing, spending over the odds for a corpse is plain daft ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fallen/dead stock
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:34:55 pm »
You may find the scheme still running down there but the funding has run out up here and we have to pay for all of them now.  It was part of the Scrapie Testing Scheme - the animals had to have died within the last 24 hours and would be tested for scrapie when collected.  The silly thing was, any farmers who thought there might be scrapie in their flocks would of course not avail themselves of the free collection, in case scrapie was found...  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Fallen/dead stock
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:56 am »
I had a letter stating that free collections would no longer be available.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS