Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crovect shortage  (Read 6784 times)

aylisha

• Joined Sep 2014
Crovect shortage
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:41:25 am »
Hello,  Having used Dysect for past 5 yrs I changed to Crovect this year firstly I  am keeping fewer sheep than previously, the shorter withdraw period and also the fact that it is produced in smaller units.
 I now find that suppliers in my area have run out of Crovect and now state that the manufacturers claim they can not provide further supplies until October.
I am left with the problem of either purchasing other products entailing a larger volume than I need and then having to pay for the disposal of the remainder.
Anyone else having same problem  or are local suppliers withholding sales of Crovect  to enable sales of their stocks of other products they have in their stores?
Thank you
 :sunshine:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Crovect shortage
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:24:21 pm »
Can you buy the Crovect online?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:33:25 pm »
Yes i have heard this.  Bad year for flies hence shortage of product.  Shop around you should be able to get more online if you are quick.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 03:46:16 pm »
There are a few around here that have run out. However our local in Settle has loads as their delivery driver made a cock up and left them twice what they had ordered. All the crovect in the world hasn't helped us much this year though. The worst year for flies and maggots I have ever had.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:35:52 pm by moony »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:51:24 pm »
Yes I had real trouble finding the smallest bottle 0.8l, luckily got one in the end but it was one of the only bottles left in the county. This was back in July.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:56:11 pm »
Seems to be a national problem my supplier can only get  it in 2.5 litres but at the 5lt price

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:20:13 pm »
I'm having same problem. Every year they seem to run out of small size. Now I have used the last drop of my very old stuff and got fly strike. Tried to dag and pick out maggots. Just hope scats were right that they don't have any teeth to do much damage as I clik'd mine in June.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:02:07 pm »
Last week MVF told my OH that they have none in stock now, and our local supplier just laughed when I asked if any was available :( .

lou13

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 09:32:44 pm »
Cant get hold of anything round here, no crovect, dysect or ectofly. Apparently they havent mad enough this year!  :-\

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 07:19:30 am »
There was a similar situation in some areas last year

I know of some commercial flocks who now shear the ewes twice and shear the lambs just after weaning to avoid using pour ons

The alternative is to use shedding sheep

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:14:48 am »
Our local co op has plenty, not sure of small size but plenty of larger size, this is they're head office number x

http://ccfagri.co.uk/location/clynderwen/

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 06:25:42 pm »
Same problem here in Lancashire. Lost one beautiful lamb to fly strike so got Spot on from my Vet and did all the flock but still got another with strike. I searched this site and someone recommended clipping the area and applying Spot on 5ml to the site - the maggots came forward and jumped off - was amazed :D You are supposed to wait 4 weeks before doing them again but I did the flock 3 weeks later as its such a terrible year for flies. Bought some Battles Maggot oil to spray on as a repellent. I may stick with Spot on next year - only problem is the 4 week withdrawal.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 07:23:20 pm »
 I REPEAT as I said in your original post spot -on does not protect against stike it treats it YES                                withdrawal   is 5wks
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:34:01 pm by shep53 »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 08:25:40 pm »
You cannot use spot on like you use crovect it kills Keds( tick), lice head fly but does not cover them as a repellant.  Like Shep says it will kill on contact like most chems probably would but I would never ever trust it for the bastard blowfly as a preventative.   

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 08:43:45 am »
If your not sending off your lambs, and willing to pay a little more Clik is a great product, ok so long withdrawal, but put that on and you ll be safe in the knowledge that it will do the job well.  It's on the likes of mole valley, don't think it comes in small bottle like crovect does with they're range.

Battles maggot oil I hear is good for treatment too, again NOT a preventative and much much cheaper than treating with spot on.  Maggot oil well under twenty quid for a litre. Spot on 60 odd maybe can't remember for the smallest bottle, couple of hundred ML.
We have only had problem were we had to do some lambs with crovect and just gone over cover, a handful, majority been struck above tail.all healing well and bright as buttons.

We use crovect to kill them and AB spray, never purple. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:49:50 am by Hellybee »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS