Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A ram that's had his day.....  (Read 8749 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: A ram that's had his day.....
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 09:43:07 am »
I regret that I too have had the unpleasant experience of seeing it take too much time and more than one injection to euthanase in this case a part-grown lamb.  It was a vet who subsequently left the profession, so perhaps now I would feel more confident with a vet I have known for a while and know to be completely competent.

I am also tortured by the memory of asking the fallen stock collector (this was on a previous farm, with a different fallen stock company) to end the suffering of an old ewe.  He was a kind man, considerate to me and the ewe, but neither of us was certain the deed was done after the first bolt.   :'(  And hence there was a chance that she was aware of what was happening when the second blow was delivered.  Horrible horrible.  Now, having read that the captive bolt doesn't kill, I am tortured further by nightmares that she woke up in the wagon...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 10:17:39 am »
My goat was horrible 2 in each leg then 2 in the heart I was cryin my eyes out! At the age of 18 she was bleating like mad and I just had to hold her I will never ever have an animal go the same way. That's why I wanted to go the abbotior as I know how fast it kill them

FCA

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 10:36:30 am »
My heart breaks for anyone who has been through the traumas that some of you are describing.
When it was time for our first sheep to be PTS I didn't know what to do.  I knew what I personally didn't want in our situation - hunt kennels, knacker man or shooting - but I had heard that finding the vein for the injection can be very tricky.
However, our wonderful vet came to the rescue and said he could sedate Amy beforehand.  So as it turned out, our experience was as calm and peaceful as I could possible have hoped for.  Amy was lying down in her stable, little needle jab in her backside and then she dozed off in my arms.  At that point the vet could snip away the fleece around the vein and get easy access for the lethal injection.  And then she was gone.
I know this won't be what everyone would choose, but I just wanted to let you know of our experience and to say that when you have a great vet they are worth their weight in gold!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 01:06:58 pm »
My heart breaks for anyone who has been through the traumas that some of you are describing.
When it was time for our first sheep to be PTS I didn't know what to do.  I knew what I personally didn't want in our situation - hunt kennels, knacker man or shooting - but I had heard that finding the vein for the injection can be very tricky.

Gun behind the 'horn rige' pointing towards the gullet. Better to use a .410 than a rifle because of ricochet (be very careful if you are using a .22). If it is still alive then, you can always give it another cartridge (not that I've ever known that happen) - or you could cut its throat just after in a 'just in case' precaution.

Dealing with these things gets easier, the more of it you do - it is always hard at first, but ultimatley you will know you have done the best for your animals. I admit that I developed thicker skin than most about this early on, because aside from the usual 'boy shoots rabbits' escapades, I did my work experience at 14 in a vets, and the vet thought it was important that I should see animals being put to sleep, so when people didn't want to be there whilst that was happening ( I would stay out of the way if they did), I would be let in the side door. A cynic would say that he also needed help carrying the deceased....

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »
I think there may be different kinds of captive bolt guns as, when I had a pony break a hock, the hunt man came and used one.  It certainly pierced the skull and she bled profusely from the hole. 

From what I understood, a captive bolt gun mashes the brain, but in theory, an animal could still be alive, albeit in a semiconcious or comatose state.  Presumably, if the operator completely misses the brain, the animal could in theory be full concious, but I'd imagine the concussion, as with a hammer blow, would render the animal unconcious for a few miutes at the very least.  I think the bleeding is for the benefit of making the meat more edible than anything, although the implication is always that it is a belt-and-braces appproach before butchering.

Hope your ram just has a foot abcess or similar Azzdodd and is being a drama queen.  :fc:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:24:03 pm by Hevxxx99 »

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »
Sally - a captive bolt is just that, the 'charge' goes behind the bolt - there used to be ones that penetrate, but they were considered a disease risk and now they deliver a blow to the skull without penetrating - basically its a bit like being hit over the head with a hammer. Given that this might not kill an animal, it is best to bleed it. You'd do that after 'normal' slaughter anyway...

That's pretty much what I had understood, which is why I asked fmsnutter for more info as her post suggested to me that she euthanased by captive bolt gun only  ???

As a vet, I try to offer the option of euthanasia of sheep/cattle/horses by injection or by captive bolt gun.
Some people (myself included) often prefer the gun as it suddenly renders the animal unconscious with no further suffering.
Others absolutely prefer an injection.

Hi Sally

*WARNING, DON'T READ IF OF SENSITIVE DISPOSITION, GRAPHIC DETAIL OF CAPTIVE BOLT EUTHANASIA*

There are different types of captive bolt available, as described, there is a version that doesn't penetrate the head, causing stunning by concussion, which I believe can be used for Halal slaughter, as they are not allowed to eat meat unless it has been 'killed' by cutting its throat, whereas in the UK animals must be rendered unconscious first, so this type satisfies both the laws of the UK, stunning the animal, and Halal tradition whereby the animal will still be alive when bleeding.
The kind we have (and I have also seen used in abattoirs) has a cartridge behind a 'bolt' which when shot, protrudes out of the gun by a short distance, enough to penetrate the skull and brain, causing immediate unconsciousness in the animal. On occasion, this bolt will cause sufficient damage to the brain to kill, but the only way to be sure the animal is dead is to ensure brainstem death. In the abattoir, this is done by bleeding, or this could be done for euthanasia as well.
In practice when euthanising an animal, not for human consumption, it is usually done by a procedure called 'pithing', where a long pole, either metal or plastic, is put into the hole to ensure the brainstem has been destroyed. This cannot be done when the animal is intended for human consumption due to concerns over BSE, etc.
I have also used the captive bolt to render a horse unconscious instantly, followed by a lethal injection, as it was in the field in the dark, and I couldn't be sure the captive bolt and pith had done the job, and certainly did not want the scenario you painted where the horse could wake up.
Using a captive bolt, after a very short period of time, it is possible to be sure that the animal has died, as the stun from the captive bolt will wear off within a minute, and therefore after that point, if it is not breathing, it will not wake up. Whereas, I have heard horror stories from other vets about lethal injection in sheep, where heart and breathing have stopped, but 10 minutes later it has woken up. This is why I would always give a very high dose of injection (like the 2 bottles for an alpaca story), as it is not possible to break down the injection and come round from a greater dose, and make sure that it won't wake up again by waiting a suitable length of time.
Hope that clears it up, and wasn't too gory reading
Suzanne

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 05:27:17 pm »
Having been present at a large number of animals being put to sleep by injection and also chosen to be present when my sheep were killed using captive bolt ( for slaughter) immediately following by throat cutting. I can tell you my preference would be for injection ofr euthenasia . I'm not sure that the animal knows a great deal of difference but I find the bolt gun violent.
Each as far as i'm concerned has the potential to go wrong but of primary importance is that everyone involved understands the proceedure and the requirements to ensure it is carried out respectfully and with conscience.

Do NOT ever assume the vet knows what he/ she is doing i've worked with  enough to know that some are very competent and others shouldn't be let loose on animals for vaccinations let alone anything more invasive. You are your animals best advocate.

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 05:37:59 pm »
Has the ram seem a vet yet?

gulli

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »

That's pretty much what I had understood, which is why I asked fmsnutter for more info as her post suggested to me that she euthanased by captive bolt gun only  ???

As a vet, I try to offer the option of euthanasia of sheep/cattle/horses by injection or by captive bolt gun.
Some people (myself included) often prefer the gun as it suddenly renders the animal unconscious with no further suffering.
Others absolutely prefer an injection.
thats what a pithing rod is for. gives a good clean kill, much quicker and its not that hard to get a captive bolt gun, although I think some training is required.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 09:11:30 pm »
He had been seen and the vet was useless and cost £139 there is no breaks or abscesses he gave him pain killer and antibiotics and has made me pen him up but doesn't know what it is.....

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:20 pm »

[/quote]
thats what a pithing rod is for. gives a good clean kill, much quicker and its not that hard to get a captive bolt gun, although I think some training is required.
[/quote]

when we had a pony shot, they used a pithing rod, but when a poorly weaner was shot he didnt - it was a professional knackerman. any idea why it was different - size maybe? death was instant in both cases.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 12:03:53 am »
I think I have been very lucky. I had my old goat which was our family pet euthanized by injection and it was very quick a bit like when they do a cat or a dog. I had booked her into the pets crematorium as I didn't think I could dig a big enough hole, so the vet helped me put her in the boot of the car. I went into the house to have a cup of tea and a good cry and then set off on her last journey.  I had only been in the house 20 mins but what ever had obstructed her now made her empty her contents all over the boot, there is only one thing that smell more than a live goat and that's a dead goat. We never really got rid of the smell in the car despite professional style air fresheners.
 I have had two horses euthanized by injection, a lot more long winded putting in the cannula etc, the first one dropped like stone the second was ill and shocked but the injection was effective, I think if you are not used to it its less upsetting. I am a bit of a wimp and need to have my old pony euthanized but I think it will be the hunt as its quick and she hates needles but I do not think I will be able to stay with her when its done.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 12:58:08 am »
Its a few years ago now but - our (old) Old English Sheepdog had looked at me with alook in her eyes that said she's had enough, vet's next morning, brought her home to bury her. It didn't dawn on us till later, we had dug the hole, had a hot drink, carried her over, yet rigermortis hadn't set in, the thought still haunts me we buried her alive.
As the vet had earlier treated another dog (who had a strange choking cough) for bronchitis, a week later took him back, he was so full of cancer the (different) vet didn't wake him up from the sedative she's given while she'd x-rayed. Doesn't give you much faith?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 03:31:41 am »
Suzanne - thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.  I think I understand it all a lot better now. 

When the fallen stock people shoot a sheep for us I am pretty sure they don't pith.  Does this mean there is a chance the animal might regain some sort of consciousness in the wagon?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 07:59:06 am »
Suzanne - thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.  I think I understand it all a lot better now. 

When the fallen stock people shoot a sheep for us I am pretty sure they don't pith.  Does this mean there is a chance the animal might regain some sort of consciousness in the wagon?
It may be that they use the captive bolt with a cartridge designed for a larger animal, such as a bull or horse, which I think would mean the brain would be killed outright, potentially even are using something with a free bullet?
I would be shocked if they were using a light captive bolt stun and not pithing as it would certainly not be in their interests to have anything wake up in the wagon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS