Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Supermarket Labelling - I feel like such a plank  (Read 1934 times)

chris3000

• Joined May 2012
  • Wiltshire
Supermarket Labelling - I feel like such a plank
« on: July 12, 2012, 02:52:13 pm »
So, as I am looking at selling sausages I thought I would check out supermarket prices and see what I can do to compare / how to market.

So I went straight for the Free Range sections ..... well, actually they don't exist.

So I went to the posh sausage sections (Finest / Premium etc.) ..... looked at the sausages I usually buy and always thought were free range.

Well they are not!!!! am I the only person who looks at these products with their simple "farm shop" looking packaging + price and assumed they were Free Range??

I really thought I was paying that little bit more not just for flavour (and a bit more meat %) but because the welfare of the animals was better.

After then looking at all our local supermarkets I realise they barely have any free range sausage ranges.

I even phoned my Mum and asked her why she bought the sausages she did and she said because they are 'Free Range' - even though they are not.

I know its a lesson in reading the labels properly ... but still !!!
Any advice I give is purely based on my experience .... It may not be from 20 years of farming or a book I have read .... however it has worked for me.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Supermarket Labelling - I feel like such a plank
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:06:52 pm »
It's very very hard to do commercial free range pork in this country.  Almost all commercial producers need to finish indoors - and that includes organic ones.

The supermarkets tried to be honest, labelling their pork and sausages, "outdoor bred", but were villified for that.  In truth, "outdoor bred" is the best you are going to do on any widely-available product.

If you really want free range (and there are debates that could rage and rage about whether raising weaners and finishing pigs outdoors is better welfare in our wet climate) then you need to be looking for the niche products like Helen Browning's - though I'm not sure that even she can finish outdoors; she may have to bring them in for the last month or so, at least when it's wet - or going to your local smallholder / farmers' market - or, of course, TAS!   ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Supermarket Labelling - I feel like such a plank
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:19:09 pm »
The supermarkets are masters at giving the customer what "appears" to be what they want.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS