Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No Greenhouse/Polytunnel - How do you germinate your seeds  (Read 6404 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: No Greenhouse/Polytunnel - How do you germinate your seeds
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 02:21:50 pm »
All my windows ledges in the house get taken over, once grown on enough I move them to my pollytunnel when I am sure we are not getting frost.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 02:55:33 pm »
I've always done mine on the dining table until this year. I've just had to buy a heated propagator because, having moved, our new house doesn't ever get warm enough to germinate things like chillies and peppers.

H

I can relate to that!  Things dont seem to germinate on our windowsills.  Might try making a coldframe this year - but I had a disasterous veg growing year last year - chillies etc finally sprouted, but then ran out of year and  :sunshine:  before ever flowereing.  Might look at heated propogators - any heath robbinson ideas?   

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 03:11:22 pm »
I have a heated propagator that i inherited from my grandad, its pretty old, I dont even know what temp it goes to but it works like magic, when it packs up I will definately get another. This will be my 3rd year doing chilies in it.

Don't have any ideas for rigging one up though :/

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 05:16:51 pm »
Others may be able to put me straight here but if you build a cheap cold frame as Benkt suggests and live north of Birmingham then can you not dump part rotted manure in it then a 6 inch layer of soil for seeds? I am pretty sure I saw this on the Victorian Kitchen garden. The manure generates a bit of heat that adds to the overall temperature advatage that a cold frame gives you.
Can anyone else confirm this or put me in my place? :fc:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 06:34:59 pm »
Yep , make a good thick layer of horse crap and straw mix , covered by soil , preferably sterilized as other wise you get a fantastic crop of weeds . Then place the cold frame on top .
You can plant directly into this soil , or in trays or pots as normal .
Lift the lid to control the temp .
A 2 foot layer of manure will last about 3 weeks and gradually cool off till the temp outside is correct for transplanting .
Care needs to be taken at first as the heap may generate enough heat to cook the seeds or plants placed in the frame .
Melons grow well this way .
At the end of the year the  soil and manure can be put on the veg plot .
 Harry Dobson knew what he was doing , lovely bloke too .

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 06:57:57 pm »
Airing cupboard ;) (when I had one).  But you have to be quick and get them out before they grow leggy!  Steph - we can swop plants later.   :thumbsup:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:04 pm »
I've heard of the manure method which sounds great for later in the year. The heated propagator was expensive but is absolutely brilliant. I'm amazed. Virtually everything has germinated (not all the seeds, but something of every type of seeds) in a week. Even things like the geraniums which say they are slow to germinate and it they haven't germinated in 8 weeks to put them a fridge for a bit. I'm just waiting on one variety of pepper and the red hot poker plants.

I can set the temperature but once it gets sunny I'm going to have to keep an eye on it because it is in the sun so I think the temperatures will rocket if I don't. The only other problem which I hadn't picked up on is that the heating capacity is a bit limited - I phoned them up to check and it can only increase on the general air temperature by about 12° so I should have set it up in the house rather than an outhouse where it needs another heater with it at the moment.

Anyhow, I reckon it'll pay for itself in being able to germinate more seeds rather than having to buy plants - maybe I'll even be able to sell some plants (and if seeds are expensive, plugs are loads more).

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS