Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lumps on dogs - update! PHEW! :-)  (Read 11192 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Lumps on dogs - update! PHEW! :-)
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »
garlic is toxic to dogs- even small amounts
If that's the case then my friend Ann has had over 50 dead Irish wolfhounds in her kennel over the years , some of them still very much running around their farm  :roflanim: -
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2014, 05:53:27 pm »
I've read that both garlic and onions could be toxic to dogs.

Never given it to mine ..... maybe it's a quantity thing ??????

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2014, 07:24:47 pm »
I know a lot of people who give garlic to dogs in various forms - powdered is what Ann uses, another friend uses capsules from the supermarket, and another crushes cloves and puts them in olive oil and adds some to each meal.
Just found this -

Why the controversy over garlic?

The primary reason AVMA (American Vet association) is against feeding garlic is that it contains thiosulphate, which can cause hemolytic anemia, liver damage and death. However garlic only contains very small traces of thiosulphate and a dog would have to consume a huge quantity for any negative effects. Using Tylenol (acetaminophen) or benzocaine topical ointments to stop itching are far more likely to cause anemia in dogs.

Garlic’s medicinal properties

There are many health benefits to feeding garlic. Here are some things you might not know about this healthy herb:

Garlic is a natural antibiotic and won’t affect the good bacteria in the gut which are needed for digestion and immune health
Garlic is antifungal
Garlic is antiviral
Garlic boosts the immune system
Garlic makes dogs less desirable to fleas
Garlic is antiparasitic
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2014, 08:10:20 pm »
There you go .... quantity thing ..... suppose lots of things could be harmful if enough was gobbled.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS