Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Member - Is getting up at 6:30am just me being lazy?  (Read 2388 times)

saraisrunoffherfeet

• Joined Nov 2011
New Member - Is getting up at 6:30am just me being lazy?
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:25:41 pm »
 We are lucky to have the land to fulfil the dream of a having animals for pleasure and for our food supply here in Lincolnshire.
The  :pig: and the  :cow: and the  :chook: represent my second career - I work 4 days a week elsewhere too.
The vegetable patch, fruit cage and allotment too.
Then there's the 3 :dog: one  :cat: and goldfish too.
It is alot of work, the meat is good the eggs are delicious and we have yet to try the pork.
The Kune Kune piglets are such fun and their Mum and Auntie are soo friendly and adorable.
The Lincoln Red cattle are calm and like the attention too.
The final question is - should i get up earlier - I eeek it out in bed to 6:45 if i can but then its a mad dash to get everything done before the school run at 8:30.
Please don't reply if you think I should be getting up earlier!!  :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: New Member - Is getting up at 6:30am just me being lazy?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »
No - get up when your body tells you ( assuming the children and animals allow you to). You have probably adjusted to the clocks changing the other week and at this time of year the low light intensity weakens the strength of your circadian rhythm for sleep. That said if you adopt strong routines ( like the school run and feeding animals) then these "zeitgebers"  are good for all the bodies circadian rhythms ( about 250 of them) and SLEEP.  The other driver for sleep is related to the time since you had your last deep sleep ( delat sleep). i.e. you get sleepy the longer you stay awake . Essentially go to bed when sleepy and wake up when your body tells you and you will discover what your "normal wake up time is". My guess is that others may have different ideas about what your wake up time will be though. If you have to wake early then if you are sleepy when you should be awake then take more sleep ( go to bed a little earliereach night - 15 minutes/night) till all is well.
SORRY - you asked a simple question and I gave you this lot!! AND I took early retirement to get away from sleep talk!!
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »
Naw, I'm the lazy one on here - 9.30 this morning  ::) ::)- when the dingoes woke me. ;) ;D  When I finally made it outside, the chooks had managed to shove open their door and were roaming round making 'Hey you' and 'feed me' type noises  ;), the ducks were quacking fit to bust  ;) , but all were fed and watered before I sat down to my crunchy nut corn flakes. 

I didn't sleep well last night  :'( :'(   I had a nightmare that a bird of prey had swooped down and speared one of my ducks through the neck and it was making a weird whistling noise when it was breathing,  I caught the bird of prey and threw it on the railway line.  When I awoke in a panic looking round my bedroom for something to wrap round the ducks neck to seal it I realised it was just a bad dream, but took a while to settle down again.  Which is why I over slept this morning - usually it's 8am or so. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »
My body tells me that 9am is a good time to wake up.  At the moment I can usually get away with that, since I was made redundant last April.  I'm doing home tutoring which is mostly between 4 and 7pm as my tutees are at school.  Have to get up at 5.45am tomorrow.  Having nightmares (daymares?) at the thought.  :'(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:24:35 pm »
5.45am normal getting up time, leave for the 60+ hours-a-week day job at 7.30am. And hey, gotta milk the goats, feed the chooks, ducks, geese, goats, sheep, dogs, cats before that  :D

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:29:59 pm »
i hate getting up early but am more likely to be working til midnight (paperwork in winter and outside in summer) so do what suits ur routine. our chooks are up til 11.30pm in mid-summer so early nights are impossible!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:31:59 am »
At this time of year, its very tempting to stay in bed, with the dark, cold mornings.  Unfortunately, with my large amount of animals, thats impossible.  Not long ago, I worked 12 hour days, 4 days a week, which involved an hours drive there and back - my OH worked at the same company so we were both on long days.  We had to get up at around 5.15am, to ensure we were done with the livestock and away for around 8am.  This was fine, until winter, when we struggled with the weather.  I sort of got used to doing it, but nowadays am always up by 6am at the latest - even on weekends - as the animals kick off if   I am late.

Have been up all last night with my bad cough, and the high winds shaking the caravan ....so worried about stable roofs etc I did not sleep at all.

I think if you can get away with sleeping in a bit - then do not feel guiilty, and enjoy it!!

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:42:16 am »
hi
I'm and early bird and wake about 6 in the week and 6.30 at the week end and days off
I have to get to work by 7.30 and have to sort the birds out, luckily hubby (who like a lie in) feeds the pigs when he gets up and the lambs are fed in the afternoon
in summer i'm often up earlier with the light.....
I'm ready for bed at about 9pm tho' ;) ;)
Mx

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:49 am »
I'm an early riser and usually wake up at about 5.45 naturally. It's great because it means that I can get loads done  before most people are out of bed but the flip side is that I usually crash at about 8.30pm - not great for parties!!

This morning I got up, tidied the house, finished making cubetti out of the bacon leavings, fed dog, sorted chickens, bought Christmas pressies online and then made a cup of tea for my OH in bed.

Now off to tree planting ceremony for late father in law - collecting other relys on the way.

;D ;D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 05:23:39 pm »
Hello  :wave:

Nope, I think you are getting up at the right time! so long as you get everything done then there's no problem! I'm up around that time to get my 4 children (all under the age of 10 so need some nagging...) ready for school and to milk the goat, let the chooks out etc.
I'm also in bed, exhausted by about 9pm! I work full time from home making soap so this time of year is manic with fairs and parties. Last year I was working until about 2am  for the xmas rush so getting up any earlier would have made me very ill LOL

welcome to TAS by the way  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS