Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie Finding Feet  (Read 2091 times)

Kevee

• Joined Jul 2023
Newbie Finding Feet
« on: July 25, 2023, 02:47:51 pm »
Hello,

I would like to introduce myself and ask for some pointers if I may. We have purchased some land for a smallholding and built a house on some of it, luckily I can work from home the majority of the time.

We were thinking of pig ownership and\or sheep (I will also post in the sheep forum so maybe see some of you over there too), we have horses so do not think we would have suitable space for bigger livestock.

I stumbled across this site and started reading the sections on pigs. However I am struggling to find a local abattoir that would help me, the ones I have contacted are only interested in commercial contracts dealing with higher volumes. We are based in Norfolk. Is anyone else based in this area that has some contacts? Or is there another way to investigate e.g. selling at an auction for someone that then wants to process them?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Newbie Finding Feet
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 08:15:54 pm »
You're in pig country so I guess the local large abattoirs do do large numbers yes...  Is there a local smallholder group on Facebook?  That sort of local knowledge is what those groups are best at... 

I just turned up a few with a search...  (view the attachment)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Newbie Finding Feet
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 08:51:19 am »
Have answered some of your questions in the sheep section.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS