Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What can we have for tea tonight?  (Read 18458 times)

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
What can we have for tea tonight?
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:08:07 am »
I dont mind the cooking its deciding what to have everyday thats a chore. Any ideas? Or what are you having?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: What can we have for tea tonight?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:15:32 am »
Agree
but we're having roast belly pork(our own :thumbsup: ), leeky,cheesy mash, carrots, peas & gravy, YUM! :excited:
Mandy  :pig:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:18:04 am »
I extracted a pork belly from the freezer yesterday and am going to cook it in some cider, onion and any other ingredients I find. I get the same as you, love cooking but struggle to think of different things to cook, we seem to eat the same things all the while. Still got loads of beef and sausage in the freezer so most meals are based round that.
Ha! Great minds think alike, you wrote that while I was writing mine  ;D

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:22:06 am »
I've got a peice of belly pork in the freezer.......I think I'll just go and get it out. Thanks  :yum:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:30 am »
im doing ribs tonight as the kids love them

not sure what im doing to accompany the ribs yet though!!!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:57 am »
Think this should be a daily question, then I'd never have to stand staring into the pantry/freezer again wondering what the hell to cook, I'd just look here!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:40 am »
I have to say i find winter meals much easier to decide what we're having but summer i always find challenging, don't know why, guess i just like winter comfort food the best!
mandy :pig:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:28 am »
The kitchen is the warmest place in our house in the winter so I'm always in there cooking. Also use the oven by the fire so tend to have slow cooked meals.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:29:00 am »
Having had different visitors for lunch Saturday, sunday and supper last night and b
eing back at work for a late shift today we are having very simple chorizo pasta, a firm favourite and easy standby meal. Hope we all enjoy whatever we all cook
So many ideas, not enough hours

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 12:03:30 pm »
Pasta is a great standby.  My favourite is also the easiest. Fry some onions, add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a bit of tomato paste. Stir into the spaghetti when cooked. Sprinkle over some cheese.
Mmmmm
Sally

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 12:09:07 pm »
Beef stew for the 5 carnivores, goodness knows what for the 2 veg-heads. Probably vegetable stew to which my 10 year old will say...what's the option for vegetarians who don't like veggie stew  :huff:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 12:12:38 pm »
For some reason Wenesday night is spaggy bol nite in our house, i guess its because we have a peak of the week bottle of red wine to go with it  :yum:  I use any leftover bol to make a lasagne to go in the freezer for an emergency meal at a later date (useful in the showing season when i don't want to come home from a show and start cooking, just have to remember to tak eit out of the freezer before we leave!)
Mandy :pig:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »
This time of the year its always....Oops ive got a huge courgette that escaped notice, what do you want to make with that/
(peel, chop into cubes,put a littltle water in a pan just to cover the bottem, add the courgette/marrow, garlic and seasoning. When cooked, whiz, add a little quark/cream cheese/ sour cream/whatever. pour over pasta or eat just as it is...yum)
today its going to be beans or some toms...they both need picking...and the spinach needs cutting AGAIN!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 12:22:04 pm »
Right due to my courgette glut I'm having that for lunch! If it's peeled the kids won't know the courgettes either, bonus!  :thumbsup:

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:40:07 pm »
Im in the process of making a huge batch of beefburgers, so OH wants a couple in buns with salad for dinner tonight. I may have the same, but then again, I havent had any fish for a while so I may steam a trout and have that with salad.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS