Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pics: first lambs born for Easter  (Read 2593 times)

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
pics: first lambs born for Easter
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:32:18 pm »
Two bouncy ram lambs, Felinrhyd Garlic x Caradoc Fudge.  So glad the weather has turned nice just in time!
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Re: pics: first lambs born for Easter
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:39:01 pm »
Legs that a super model would be proud of  :roflanim: What breed are they Thyme ?  :thumbsup:

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 05:53:23 pm »
Shetlands!
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 08:40:04 pm »
Lovely boys, I like the patches.  Mine are moorit and katmoget, not any splodgy ones yet.

How many ewes have you got in lamb?
Do they have good spinners fleeces?
Are you going to ring the boys?
Will they be registered?

I might be interested in a ram/ ram lamb come September time if you've got one available.
I'm just over the hills near Llanidloes.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:57:21 pm »
Thanks Dogwalker :wave:

I've got eleven more ewes to lamb.  I believe they have good spinners fleeces -- I'm still a beginner spinner myself but I relied on a very experienced spinner to advise me on choosing my starter flock, and I've also had the local breed society representative by to assess them for me and she was very approving.

I'm not planning to ring the boys so it's probable I'll have a good selection available in September if you want to come have a look!  I only register the boys who aren't headed for the freezer, so if you picked one out then I would register him before sale.  Also one of the tup lambs I used this year could be an option, I was thinking of having him castrated to keep, but would sell him if there was interest.  He's related to the majority of my flock but the breed society rep liked him and encouraged me to breed him to my unrelated ewes this year, so we'll see how his lambs turn out.  He's a grey katmoget with amusing face markings that make him look a little like a mime.  Here's his pedigree.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 09:05:24 pm »
Perhaps we can sort out a visit later in the summer when things calm down a bit - if such a time exists.
Was that Eleanor who visited.
Do you need a new ram, I've got a fawn katmoget from last year who needs a new home if you're interested.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:09:25 pm »
It was Eleanor who helped me choose my starter flock, and Anna Sistern who visited.  I won't need a new ram this year as it'll only be the second go for my main boy that I got from Jenni Frost in North Wales, but possibly next year.  A visit sounds lovely -- will look forward to meeting you whenever the timing works out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS