Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Noisy pygmy  (Read 4530 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Noisy pygmy
« on: March 28, 2011, 11:07:10 pm »
Pygmy goats appear to be more vocal than the larger breeds.  Our pygmy billy could win any competition for the noisiest goat I am sure.

Bobby is a long haired black and white goat, with large horns.  About the size of a labrador, and built like a tank.  Yesterday, I let him out in the field whie I cleaned his shelter out .....urgh, not a nice job!  He waddled off up the field, with being long haired it looks like he has woolly boots on.  All the way he was grumbling to himself, hard to describe, but similar to a motorbike starting up, then suddenly it turns into a loud pitched screech. The other animals are used to it, and ignore him, but the neighbours must wonder whatever we have got!!

Bobby stopped off to have a look at the Kune Kune's, whatever they did, he did not like, because he stepped back sharpish, and let out one of his ear splitting wails.  Back he came, still making his racket.  I am sure he must get worn out (or at least a sore throat!) as he continues the racket most of his waking hours.

I hope Finlay does not inherit his dads voice ;D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Noisy pygmy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:12 pm »
Yet to have my own Billy but was commenting to OH tonight the tone of a lamb bleet can be lound but the kid when a bit anoyed is ear pearcing - must be Bobby's in the making!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:28:12 pm »
 ;D  Bobbys other off spring are not over noisy, but I have noticed that if Finlays bottle is not there as fast as he would like, then he does protest, and for a little fella its loud!!

I keep expecting to see the environmental health there measuring the noise coming from the goat shed ......there again, the smell of a pygmy billy, , no non goat person would venture anywhere near, surely?!!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:38:28 am »
Our  :goat: (not pigmies) are easily the nosiest things on the farm, they even put the tractor to shame.  One has taken to screaming while the other takes the lower key - its like a car crash between Barry White and the Aled Jones but the car never comes to rest it just keeps spinning and spinning!!

Baz

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:24:22 pm »
love the description there Baz!

Roxy, record him, and we'll all do the same and see who has the loudest goat!
My lad Max would definitely be in the running.... 

what makes me laugh is when Gera "baas" for the babies to do a head count... and he replies "yes mum?" every time!  I keep telling him he's not the baby any more, but he won't have it!!
Little Blue

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 10:59:03 am »
Don't you just love this website, it cheers me up so much, brilliant. :-*
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:33:44 pm »
Don't you just love this website, it cheers me up so much, brilliant. :-*

Haven't even got goats yet and I love it  ;D

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:35:38 pm »
my three billy kids are noise little buggers all day long the only way to shut them up is to give them willow to munch on

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:21:43 pm »
My little Toby is the noisier of the two, especially if he sees me feeding the chickens. I think he gets jealous that they are getting some attention. I just cant believe that they love human contact as much as they do. They hate it when we go back inside the house, unless we've left them something nice to nibble on of course. Do they EVER stop eating?!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:29 am »
we've got 3 coming next monday - can't wait - frustratedfarmer - you must must come for a viz!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS