Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep for slaughter  (Read 2671 times)

fangfarrier

• Joined Jun 2009
Sheep for slaughter
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:55 am »
I'm taking my first two late lambs to the abattoir tomorrow morning. It's all a bit of a rush as one has developed a limp which our vet can't do anything for and we don't want her hobbling any longer than necessary. We don't have a stock trailer and proposed to put them in the back of our landrover.
I'm now getting cold feet about this transport. Easy for one animal, more difficult with two and I don't want to stress them more than necessary....any tips?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Sheep for slaughter
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:58:45 am »
if you turn up with a sheep in the back of your car they will be turned away. also transporting an ill sheep to the slaughter house would be wrong. there animal health person could get very unimpressed. with the injured one you have two choices either the vet or yourself or neighbour with a gun or humane killer. is there no one who will lend or give you a lift with a small trailer.

fangfarrier

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 12:32:29 pm »
Thanks for that advice....I thought it was prob not a good idea. I've spoken to my vet who says she is fit to travel, and the abattoir who have ok'd it. I've also put the date off a few days so I can get the loan of a trailer.
I am such a novice, but I will improve.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:37:17 pm »
of course you will! when we took our pigs to slaughter we were lucky to get the loan of a trailer, but before we could get the pigs out they checked the trailer over to make sure it was clean, then they insisted we jet spray it with their jet spray afterwards! so be warned they expect it all spotless....... bit mad really but I guess they have their reasons
ps we did pass their inspections because we had been well warned!  :D
juliag

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »
Ring around local farmers and riding schools, someone may take them for you for a fee or a bit of meat. Some abbatoirs do a collection service, that may be worth looking into if you are sure they will be treated well.

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:06 am »
too late this time but i think  can still transprts livestock in a truck cab land rover with a ivor type rear canapy you are no longer alowed to use a hardtop land rover with a dog guard as its not classed as being sparate from  the driver but a pickup and camapy is. not 100% sure but iv seen loads in markets with pickups moveing sheep and calves

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 05:35:15 pm »
I know we are in France which may be different, but I suspect that if you take them to slaughter in the back of your landrover you may find if they are having a jobsworth day, they will refuse to take them.  Hopefully I am wrong as it would be very stressful for you.

Let us know how you get on.

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 05:35:09 pm »
You can definately transport in the back of the car as long as the animal is safe from sharp edges and has ventilation, ask your trading standards officer if you have doubts. When you next go to a show, look how many cars are there without a P5 or similar. If you are worried put the animal in a large dog crate and then it is totally contained. A landy was designed for the farmer.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS