Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making sausages- should avoid putting fat in altogether?  (Read 3724 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Making sausages- should avoid putting fat in altogether?
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:53:41 am »
I need to make some sausages but the meat I have is quite fatty and some people say not to put fat in sausages. Is this right? should I remove all the fat and just put meat in??
Thanks
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Making sausages- should avoid putting fat in altogether?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:14:02 am »
I've only made sausages once so I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that fat is an essential part of a sausage recipe. They need a certain fat content to stay moist. I would say you wouldn't need to remove the fat but then I guess it depends just how fatty your meat is?

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:26:42 am »
You need fat in your sausages!
The ratio is normally around 80% meat, to 20% fat.
The majority of this will come out during cooking but it's what adds flavour and succulence  :yum:
HTH

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 10:12:04 am »
The first year we kept pigs we made our own sausages with almost no fat, thinking they would be fab.  :dunce:

They were pretty unpalatable - dry, tasteless and mealy.

You need the fat for flavour and mouth-feel - listen to HappyHippy, she knows what she's talking about.  :)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:14:15 pm »
The fat makes at least half of the flavour !

and they're good fats nowadays !

and don't grind your meat too small - slow home grown pork has texture as well as flavour, and you don't want to lose that in a fine ground mush! Leave that to Tesco !
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:15:56 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 05:01:35 pm »
70/30 percent lean to fat is ideal. And don't forget the rusk! Don't fall for this 100% meat sausage nonsense that seems to be doing the rounds again.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:23:16 pm »
Yep 80:20 meat to fat which typically is shoulder meat.  Try Toulouse sausages if you don't want to use rusk. Herbs, garlic,nutmeg and red wine are needed or buy the mix from Weschenfelders.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 07:23:52 pm »
Just made some duck breast sausage, added pork belly, but still came out dry, but nice. Make sure you keep the fat in!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 06:31:30 am »
The dont add fat advice that you have been given is sound but has been given out of context. If you use the traditional shoulder and belly recipe then the belly has the fat already so no you dont need to add any to that. If you are mincing up bits and pieces of lean meat then yes 20 to 30 % fat.

The skin of the sausage acts like a pressure cooker and along with the hot fat inside the sausage cooks the meat. The fat also transports the meat flavours and juices into the rusk which absorbs it and creates a moist, juicy flavoursome sausage.

The secret to a sausage comprises of 5 key elements of meat, fat, flavour enhancer ( salt, herbs ) rusk and casing, which works. These days sadly many people seem to think that the rusk and the fat are just cheap fillers but they are all essential to make a great sausage.

I use 80% lean meat and pinhead rusk, salt, pepper and herbs or a pre mixed seasoning from butchers sundries and only mince once on a coarse setting.  By all means play around with your sausage recipe until you get it just how you like it. The bast way is to mix a small amount of your ingredients then make a patty and fry it off and taste it. If its good mix the rest and fill the casings. If its not adjust your ratios. Sausage making is great fun. Enjoy!

heres some I made earlier  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS