Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hair left on skin - unreasonable?  (Read 9944 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: Hair left on skin - unreasonable?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 05:02:07 pm »
Oh dear!
Worried now as to what the kune piglets for hog roast will come back looking like  :thinking:

I sent six away a couple of weeks ago and they came back as smooth as a baby's bum. And oh!!! the taste :yum: :yum:

Great :) hopefully my abattoir does the same job!

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 06:39:10 pm »
My aging and failing memory is rattling around telling me there's something about using boiling water to soften bristles which is essential on hairy pigs....  Karen will know, I think, but is busy at the Winter Fair today.

I think I remember a conversation about an older, larger pig and an abbatoir that couldn't boil / scrape the hair on a pig that large so whoever it was had to find another abattoir for pigs over a certain weight....  Anyone else recall something along those lines?

I'm sure they must scald them because they told me I could collect them when they had cooled down, which would have been after 24 hours.... :\  But will def look for another abbatoir anyway.  Especially now I've complained!
That would be an interesting thread to find <goes to look>.  Not really applicable to me though cos mine were deadweight 60kg and 54kg - small by your guys standards I reckon ;)

Sorry, didn't explain myself well.  The relevance being that there is a process they have to do with hairy pigs and I think not all abattoirs do it?  So is worth checking with your abattoir how they dehair, and if it's not scalding, find one that does do hairy pigs properly.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 08:02:15 pm »
I'm sure they must scald them because they told me I could collect them when they had cooled down, which would have been after 24 hours....

Nah, the cooling down relates to rapid chilling the meat.  All slaughtered animals are rapid chilled at the abattoir, takes about 24 hours for a porker.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 10:15:16 pm »
I'd be disappointed if mine came back with that much hair on. You might be able to tolerate it, if you were just rearing pigs for yourself, but if selling to others, you have to think about presentation.

I was given a Berkshire joint by a friend and it was so hairy I couldn't bear to cook it with the skin on! Hope you can find a better abattoir. Pretty hard to find in this area, so I'm lucky there's a really good one just 10 minutes away.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 10:54:42 pm »
I don't think there is any need to knock the Berkshire it is bad practice at the abattoir not the fault of the breed.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 09:07:53 am »

I don't think there is any need to knock the Berkshire it is bad practice at the abattoir not the fault of the breed.

:thumbsup: your right BB coloured hairs on joints also come in different breeds we have had ginger hairs from the tamworths & OSB's black hairs from the saddlebacks, hampshire &  GOS to name but a few whilst this seems a little excessive you will always get the odd hair but it soon cooks out.

i for one have used this particular slaughter house for many pigs and never had any back that hairy not even the KK's (they were black & ginger)
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »
I wasn't knocking Berkshires - just saying that even I (as a pig breeder) found it off-putting! The abattoir that produced the joint was one I had tried in the past and had been disappointed with, from the point of butchery.
Just to reiterate - I wasn't blaming the breed! >:(
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS